Corolla under and over heating

1985 Toyota Corolla, 245K miles.

For several years, it's been running cold (i.e. no heat, temperature gauge at 8 o'clock.) in the winter.

More recently, it also runs hot (temperature gauge at 10 o'clock) in the summer.

Anyone car to try a diagnosis?

Coolant level is OK, changed last year. No leaks. Hoses and thermostat are original. Water pump replaced at the 180K timing belt service.

I didn't worry much about running cold, as I get an oil light flicker when idling and warm, but running hot could finally kill the car.

Reply to
kgold

Good grief, Charlie Brown! If your hoses are that old, I would take this opportunity to remove them and the old thermostat.

And, when I did that, I would rinse the block and radiator with the garden hose until it runs clean clean clean.

If you find something else like a damaged or blocked radiator, remove the radiator and let a radiator shop repair it.

Make sure your fans are working the way they should.

Install your new hoses, thermostat, and charge the pristine system with new coolant.

Now, that you have taken maintenance steps that should have been taken in the Clinton era, start her up and see if she runs at the right temperature.

Reply to
<HLS

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open... and your radiator is "limed" (minerals from the water) up. Why do I get the feeling that your maintainance on this vehicle has not been stellar... LOL

Professor

Professor

Well that really depends...

10 could be the normal operating temperature. If the thermostat is stuck open then the engine would never get warm in the winter but with summer heat loads it will warm up.

When does it get hot? Idleing or driving down the hiway?

Are the fans working?

Is the radiator original? If so and fans are working right that would be my second guess. I would replace the thermostat that we know is bad first.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.