Craftsman electric impact?

Well, I decided it was time to pick up an electric impact at least since it doesn't look like I will be able to afford air anytime soon. Went to two Sears and both of them looked at me quizzically when I asked them for an electric impact. The only choice they had in stock were the DeWalt cordless impacts which, aside from making me wonder how powerful they could possibly be, were around $200. I could swear I saw not too long ago (and thought about buying) a Craftsman brand corded impact, just a basic 1/2 inch drive, for under $100.

Was I seeing things? Any recommendations on electric impacts? Want it for easing suspension work mainly.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

I bought one in 1993 or so. Anyway, check out:

Andy

Ryan Underwood wrote:

Reply to
andyandlynn

Oops. Sorry, that was a pneumatic one. Try this;

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

I bought my Hitachi on Ebay, Ryan. I've had it for a year or so, and it has done everything I could possibly ask of it.

I had bought a cheap Chinese one earlier that lasted one hour.

Reply to
<HLS

"Ryan Underwood" wrote

Have they started making them differently? The ones I looked at a while ago took a while to "wind up", and then only gave one hit before winding up again. Rather than the air powered bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam-bam, you get z-z-z-z-z-z-z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-bang z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-bang.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

I had a Milwakee brand one that kicked ass! I purshased it well used at a flea market 10 years ago. I replaced the motor brushes last year and it is going strong!

Reply to
Anumber1

Sears has several. Look at their online catalog. As you know, Sears usually does not make anything, they just market. Their elec. impacts used to be Proto - Very Good. It seems that most of their power tools nowadays are Black&Decker - cheap plastic junk. Compare the pictures to other brands - does one type look exactly like another brand except the color is different, etc.

Reply to
« Paul »

Reply to
scott and barb

After visiting the third Sears that did not stock and couldn't tell me where to find their electric impact, I was about to go the Ebay route. I tried a fourth store, however, and they did have several in stock. They speculate that the current model is about to be discontinued and replaced by an upgraded one as an explanation for how hard they are to find. Anyway, it was on sale in their computer for $10 off (unadvertised) which made it even sweeted.

I took it home and it was able to almost immediately hammer off a control arm bushing 22mm nut that I had no chance with previously. I think I'm going to like having this puppy around...

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

"MasterBlaster"

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

I will first state that I place very little value on "Professional Product Reviews". Even the "Tool Pros" on TV are on someone's payroll.

My brother and I have an automotive shop, albeit small. We have pneumatic and an electric 110 vac impact. The electric is a Napa brand and has been hammering lug nuts and difficult parts for nearly 20 years. It is generally equal to the pneumatic with the air pressure and volume of a standard shop compressor.

Recently we were parting out a F250 in a wrecking yard and it was just too far to run power or air hoses. I took the battery out of my truck, a 1000 watt inverter rigged with proper terminal clamps (not battery clips). To the amazement of all around, we 'rattled off' lug nuts and much more for over an hour. Occasionally the inverter would circuit breaker would trip but a few seconds rest and rest and we were back at it.

I think my brother paid a lot for this tool. $250 back in the '80s, was a lot of money.

Reply to
Steve

That tool will make your life a lot happier when you work on tough dogs. I think you will be very happy with it.

Reply to
<HLS