Distributor shield

I have a 1979 Toyota landcruiser, 2F engine. Thedistributor rotor and cap finally needed replacing.

Upon opening up the distributor, I found that the little plastic shield betwen the lower pickup area and the upper HV terminal area has become brittle and is breaking up into little pieces. So I removed it (and blew a few little plastic bits out with compressed air).

What is the primary purpose of this shield? To keep oil that migrates up the shaft from getting sprayed onto the HV terminals? Or to keep the arc products from the HV terminals from attacking the pickup coil?

What are the consequences of leaving this off? I'm going to shop for a replacement, but I don't think there should be a problem in the short term.

Opinions?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I don't recall ever before seeing the need for the former in a distributor so I would guess the latter. But I'd try fabricating and installing a replacement piece from high dielectric plastic, if feasible, before putting the vehicle back into use, but that's just me.

Reply to
Hoof Hearted

the latter. and not just the coil, but internal components in general. swirling corona discharge products don't do much for electrical insulation, so if there's a shield, they at least have a more convoluted path to travel and more chance of dissipation before doing damage than if none is present. after all, that is why the old shield disintegrated!

if short term is indeed short term.

i would definitely replace it.

Reply to
jim beam

Yep. Found one for $3.00 plus another $10 for shipping, of course :(

Interesting note: The replacement is made out of metal. I guess people got tired of the plastic ones crumbling.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.