Do the Toyota Camry headlight polishers actually work well?

Overall, do those yellowed polycarbonate headlight deoxidizing chemicals or

1600-grit polishing solutions actually work well enough to be indistinguishable from new?

We bought for a college kid an older Toyota Camry of the early 2002-2006 model vintage where the polycarbonate on the headlights oxidized over time to a cloudy yellowed appearance (and the speaker covers on the rear deck are both burned off by sunlight).

The kid has two options, of course, which is replace the oxidized headlights altogether, or try those "toothpaste & sandpaper" deoxidizing remedies on the net, which 'sound' maybe a bit too good to be true.

While the pictures by the headlight-polishing companies are always impressive

Yet, this article says that abrasives will only work on "glass" lenses.

Only someone with actual experience would know the answer to that question.

Overall, do those yellowed polycarbonate headlight deoxidizing chemicals or

1600-grit polishing solutions actually work well enough to be indistinguishable from new?

If so, which ones do you have the best experience with on Toyota headlights?

Reply to
Danny D.

Problem is not just oxidation but erosion by particulates like sand. You can polish back with tooth paste but the kit might contain an ingredient that also makes the lens scratch resistant. I know of commercial acrylic materials that do this and I suspect some lens manufactures use them and some don't.

Reply to
Frank

Nothing will make them as good as new. My neighbor used a kit on his kid's car. Based on his results I'd try it. Much better than the dull they were, but not brand new. I don't know what brand he ised

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I read all the pages I referenced where I find it hard to believe the lenses were 'sandblasted'. These look "foggy" and "yellowed" and "cloudy" but they're not sandblasted, and, for passenger vehicles in suburbia, I can't fathom the 'erosion' argument.

Of course, in farm country of the dust bowl, I can see that, but then the paint would be just as eroded, and maybe even more, which is not the case.

So I think this is only "sun" erosion, whether that's a chemical change in the plastic (oxidation?) or if it's a physical effect (UV damage) I don't know.

The argument I saw essentially suggested "waxing" the lenses to protect them from future sun damage, which makes sense only if the wax actually works, since this is a see-through surface.

I don't see why anyone would want "scratch resistance" in a headlight which isn't exposed to scratching in normal use (dust bowl in Kansas might be different but this is suburbia).

Here's my gut feeling (which can be completely wrong - so that's why I ask):

  1. I don't think it's sandblasting that did it - I think it was the sun.
  2. I don't know if it's a physical change or a chemical change (or both).
  3. I suspect if there was a "sealant", Toyota would have used it.
  4. I suspect, as stated, polishing is the way to go (but I'm unsure).
  5. I don't know if liquid "de-oxidizers" (whatever that means) work.

My leaning is toward a 1000 to 2000 grit wet abrasive plus wax when done, but I don't know how long it will last nor how good it can get yet.

Reply to
Danny D.

That seems like pragmatic advice. The news ones aren't all that expensive either. But to a kid they are.

Thanks. It is, after all, only elbow grease and toothpaste, and a wax on the plastic when done.

Thanks for that assessment.

Reply to
Danny D.

You have to try it yourself. I used Blue Magic on 2 cars and it cleared up fogging, yellowing and very minor scratches. It cost about 6 bucks for enough to for a dozen cars. Just pour a bit on a cotton rag - I like to use old T-shirts - add a minute or two of elbow grease and hose it off. Or spray some Windex and use a rag to clean the residue. The lenses won't look new, because it won't take out pits and deep scratches. But it's a big improvement.

Reply to
Vic Smith

This product?

Did you also use the sealer?

Stormin' Norman

Thanks for that specific pointer to "Blue Magic".

A quick search shows "Blue Magic" seems to be a line of "things" but specifically two related things:

  1. Blue Magic 725CD-06 Headlight Lens Restorer - 8 oz
  2. Blue Magic 730-6 Headlight Lens Sealer - 8 oz.
    A. Here is the Blue Magic "restorer" MSDS:
    Aluminium Oxide, Non-Fibrous (50 - 70%) Distillates, Hydrotreated Light (5 - 10%) Ammonium Hydroxide, Buffer Solution (1 - 5%) Neodol 23-6.5E (1 - 5%)
Reply to
Danny D.

That would depends on where suburbia is. In the snowbelt, the roads are salted and sanded and that can have an effect. Obviously that is only a prtion of the problem but look at windshields after 60,000 miles.

I'd bet on UV. It is not kind to plastics.

So you drive under 25 mph on perfectly clean roads. No bugs, no grit.

  1. Mostly sun but could be pitting too
  2. I'd think both
  3. Agree, unless it wears off over time
  4. Agree.
  5. Never heard of them

I'd guess "good enough" and a few years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, but what do you want for five bucks? Buy whatever kit your FLAPS has on sale and try it. It'll be a big improvement.

Will it be any bigger than Ajax cleanser slurry on a quarter sheet sander pad? Dunno, but for five bucks I'd try it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Blue Magic (restorer/sealer) versus something from "3M"...

While the net contains anything you want it to contain, it's worth reading this article of a guy who used the blue magic "restorer" solution.

"Based on my own results, I cannot recommend blue magic as a way to completely restore fogged or scratched headlights. Everyone¢s headlights are different, so I cannot say for sure that the product won¢t work for some people. However, based on the time I spent with and without a polishing drill, and comparing the results to the turtle wax, this product was not worth the $7 bucks it cost me." He concludes: "The 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System requires a little extra elbow grease and cash, but it is the only way you can be sure to get those headlights looking clean and brand spanking new again!"

Looking up the 3M product...

3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System
There seem to be 9 different 3M "kits" according to the 3M site:
The MSDS is a multi-part MSDS due to the multiple components in the kit.
3M (TM) Headlight Lens Restoration System, PN 39008 3M(TM) Headlight Lens Polish PN 39005
  • WATER 7732- 8-5 30 - 60%
  • HYDROTREATED LIGHT PETROLEUM DISTILLATES 64742-47-8 10 - 30%
  • QUARTZ SILICA 14808-60-7 10 - 30%
  • KAOLINITE 1318-74-7 3 - 7%
  • ASSOCIATED MINERALS Mixture 1 - 5%
  • OLEIC ACID 112-80-1 1 - 5%
  • SOLVENT-REFINED HEAVY PARAFFINIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES 64741-88-4 1 - 5%
  • MINERAL OIL 64741-89-5 0.5 - 1.5%
  • GLYCERIN 56-81-5 0.5 - 1.5%
  • POLY(OXYETHYLENE)SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE 9005-67-8 0.1 - 1.0%
Reply to
Danny D.

I used this kit from Sylvania on my 2008 Ford. It uses 3 grades of sandpaper and 2 liquids. Kit has everything you need.

There is a YouTube video showing how to use it.
It's only been 4 months now but the my lights look great.

Reply to
Retired

Califonria suburbia. The environment doesn't get any easier than California, except for the full-time sun - there's almost no dirt, grit, salt, or cold to worry about.

I'd bet on the California UV also, as the plastic is "foggy".

Reply to
Danny D.

The web site has the right price $50 (PN SET-20-5219-00) but it doesn't say it fits the 4-cyl "LE" Camry.

I called 1-888-346-5511x1 and gave them the part number above and they said that's $25 each lens for a Corolla. A Camry PN is T100121 (passenger side) $63.44 each lens + shipping + tax.

Still, less than 100 bucks (taxed/shipped, but I'm guessing) is not too bad for an auto part - but a bit high for a kid with no job other than to be a full-time student who is a junior and away from home for the first time, getting settled, 200 miles from her parents.

Reply to
Danny D.

I've used several with excellent but short term results. They look like new for about 5 months-8 months, then go bad again. The sealer makes 'em last a little longer

Reply to
clare

After having looked at the ingredients, all contain a grit, particularly "aluminum oxide".

Anyone know where to get a free handful of "aluminum oxide" grit?

Given the worst thing that can happen is we ruin what is already ruined, it may be worth experimenting with some of that bentonite clay I got from a well driller for use in the heavy poison oak.

I'm thinking a few sheets of 1000 grit to 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Plus a handful of free bentonite well-driller's clay. Plus free college-aged elbow grease and free water from the hose.

The "sealer" seems to be Polydimethylsiloxane (aka dimethicone). It's in shampoo/conditioner to make hair "slippery and shiny". And in Rain-X. Silly putty too. Silicone grease. All says Wikipedia anyway.

So maybe a handful of bentonite (which I have) or aluminum oxide (if I can find it) plus water and fine-grit sandpaper will polish - and - maybe hair conditioner or Rain-X will seal it?

Where can we get a handful of free "aluminum oxide" & "dimethicone"?

Reply to
Danny D.

Your best bet is to get a new pair on eBay. It'll probably cost about $150 and they will be beautiful.

dsi1

Yes.

No. The lenses were still looking good a couple years later. The cars were 16 and 10 years old when I used it in 2011.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Its a matter of perspective. As a kid in school, I'd go with a polish/restoration kit As an adult with a decent job I'd go with new lenses. As an adult with a very good income I'd opt for a new car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You know your huckleberries, so I trust your opinion. That means the stuff works. And $15/headlight is in this kid's budget! Thanks!

Reply to
Danny D.