Do higher mileage oils actually work?

Hi there my forgiveness if this is duplicated but I've tried researching it and haven't gotten anything conclusive...

I own a 2000 Corolla right now and while it's done good thus far for me, I noticed at it's last change just now it burnt about a quart of oil for the first time that I've noticed in 3 months since the last change (or about 2,500 miles). I decided to try a higher mileage Pennzoil 5W-30 dino oil instead of the normal Pennzoil 5W-30 I would use.

Simple question, you think it would help? Will this postpone a problem or will I need to think about the inevitable engine job someday? Thanks for any insight!

Reply to
Gregory Harris

I have no idea.

My '92 Corolla with 206,000 miles does not require the addition of oil between oil changes.

I'm using Castrol GTX 5W-30.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Not a clue; my Corollas (I've had 4 since '84) haven't burned oil. And I'm no oil expert (to put it mildly!). Hopefully someone who can actually answer your questions will reply.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Have you tried this?

harry

Whether the high mileage oil will help or not depends on where the oil is going. If it is leaking somewhere like a loose gasket, then it will not help. It may help if the oil is leaking internally and the engine is burning it.

Reply to
Ray O

Ford once said that consumption as high as 400 mi/qt was "normal", even for a new engine. They later raised it to 700 mi/qt after our state's attorney general complained. I'm no expert, but if I was getting "only" 2500 mi/qt, I'd probably just add a quart every 2500 miles.

Anybody: Exactly what are the differences between regular Pennzoil and Pennoil higher mileage, other than the former having more stuff to make the rubber seals swell up?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly