Impco Propane Conversion - EGR not working......

I have amn Impco Propane conversion on a 1992 460 F.I. and over 10K gross vehicle weight. The conversion was since new, so I run an older FC-1 propane fuel module.

I passed my CA emissions test with flying colors; but I failed the SMOG test because the EGR is not working. The reason for this is because the EVR solenoids have no power to them. Power comes from the computer.

I've been thinking long and hard on this one. I found the computer and pulled it out and shook it to see if it rattled. It didn't. And the fact is, it could be bad. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the propane computer is used and the main computer is deactivated. Does anybody know? The reason I ask is because the computer shuts down the engine if fuel doesn't run from the gas tank or the fuel pump doesn't pump fuel. How can it since it's disconnected? And the fuel injectors are disconnected because they aren't used.

The MAPS and O2 are sensed by the propane brain.....so no need for the computer there. Could it be that there's a relay that supplies power to the main Ford computer that has been pulled? Or is there a main fuse to the main computer?

I'd apprecaite some help. I've got parts everywhere! LOL!

TIA

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

disconnected?

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore

I appreciate the feedback. More info is this. In 1991-92 propane vehicles were exempt. There weren't any real regulations other than they were considered good for air quality and left alone. however, in 1994 the CARB |California Air Resources Board decided to emplement far-reaching regulations on everything and wrapped propane in to this mess. After that, CARB issued what were called EO's or executive orders exempting specific propane conversion packages based on manufacturer, type system, engine type, gross vehicle weight, etc.

Well guess what? Since my conversion was done by the University of California...having its own charter via the state constitution-they didn' t have to comply and could do just about anything they wanted-legal or illegal.

So then I bought the bus. It passes smog time after time. Only has 52K total mileage. I suspect that since it burns so clean that the smogger didn't bother to check anything, assuming all worked because of such low emissions. Then this time I get an over-enthusiastic tech who goes out of his way to find something wrong. Well whadaya know......the EGR isn't functional. It's there....it just doesn't work.

I can't tell you how pissed I am. I've probably got one of the cleanest emitting vehicles in the state and can't get it smogged without driving a hundred miles to "MAYBE" get an exemption!

Liberal politicians.....it's too bad we can't send them all to Iraq and put the Marines and Army in charge of the state! Our screwball image would be doused in a heartbeat. :)

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

Impco, God BLess "Em....have sent me the Executive Order for my vehicle. All is well.

Reply to
DUMBnEASY