Engine oils test results.

They recommmend these American vehicles:

Buick LaCross Buick Rendevous Cadillac CTS Cadillac STS Chevy Avalanche Chevy Impala Chevy Monte Carlo Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL Ford 500/Mercury Montego Ford Crown Victoria Ford Focus Lincoln Town Car Pontiac G6

Some vehicles tested well but weren't recommended because their reliability was either below average or not established yet. These include:

Buick Lacerne Cadillac Escalade Cadillac XLR Chevy Corvette Chevy Malibu Ford F-150 Ford Fusion Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon

So what do you mean they hate American cars?

About ten years ago they rated the Saturns among the most reliable cars, foreign or domestic. They rated well for quality but not quite at the top. I don't think that Saturn's sales have dropped in half because of CR.

Which of those auto magazines accepted no car industry advertising and had no staff members who worked as "consultants" to the manufacturers?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

That's always been their tagline, but despite what they want to think, it doesn't really seem to matter does it?

Reply to
MAB

Which ones? Early this year, we bought a Whirlpool-made washer because Consumer Reports' survey showed that it was among the best in reliability, but we had to go through three of them before getting one without defects (one had a chipped tub & sharp edge on the lid, the other's timer would make wierd noises between cycles if the lid was opened). OTOH appliance repair techs say that these washers are the most reliable.

A long, long time ago, CU's top-rated tire -- and Firestone's first radial, was subject of a huge recall for tread separation. All four of Dad's went bad.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Maytag and GE. The GE was a dishwasher and in less then two years the rubber hoses started shedding little tiny black pieces of rubber which stuck to all the dishes. I was able to browbeat GE into covering half the cost of having the hoses replaced. Less then two years after replacing them it was doing the same thing again. Replaced it with a Kenmore (which is really a whirlpool). The Kenmore has been absolutely trouble free and cleans great.

The Maytag was a 26' side by side which has had the icemaker replaced four times in 10 years, most of the electric and mechanical parts in the dispenser mechanism one or more times. Luckily I bought an extended warranty on it. My prior refrig was a, drum roll, Whirlpool (which CU didn't like back then) and which worked perfectly for about

20 years including the icemaker. It's now in a rental and still chugging away.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

And all politicians say that campaign contributions have never swayed them.

It's amazing how so many commercial car magazines tout the new model from Detroit as the best car, whether it is or not.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Never had any of their washers or dryers but one house I owned came with a Maytag dishwasher. It was the worst dishwasher I have ever used.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks for scanning and posting those, they were an interesting read. However, that is NOT the article I read.

So it appears I've misapplied my rant to Consumer Reports. Even though this article is very short and has their trademark vagueness about a lot of important things, it's actually one of the better ones of theirs I've read.

But nonetheless, I was wrong! No idea what magazine I read then. :-(

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

I have owned a few Amana products, freezers and refrigerators, and was not satisfied with them at all. Premature compressor failures dogged them all.

Maytag used to be considered the best. They no longer have that reputation either.

Reply to
hls

The Traby was an unusual vehicle, for sure. The east Germans are now digging them out of junkyards and refurbishing them, as memorabilia I guess.

IIRC, you could tear the whole car down with just a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench.

Reply to
hls

These findings would not surprise me a heck of a lot, knowing CR, but also I feel that most modern oils are produced to be of similar performance specifications and pricing.

They wouldnt be commercial if they were demonstrably bad, but some are hyped to be space age best in class, perhaps without much hard data.

I have my prejudices just like everybody else where oil is concerned. And, I am one who changes oil every 3000 miles, and dont worry about it.

Reply to
hls

Synthetics Oil GM Engineer's Opinion (long)

anon