faulty strut replacement? ('90 VW)

hi all, several weeks ago I replaced the rear struts in my A2 Jetta as they were getting very soft and it was riding noticeably lower for a long time. With the new ones in place, it's a stiffer and even ride, except very noisy. It seems like every bump in the road gets magnified as a loud clunking noise. Otherwise, it rides fine.

Did I simply not tighten the new ones enough? - What should I look for before I raise my car up and take everything apart again?

~ matt

Reply to
mattbagwell