Fire and Drive

Straight 30 weight oil was commonly used here 30 years ago. Winter and summer. And that was record cold. I suppose some went to 15 or 20 weight for the winter, or went to multi-grade earlier than I did. But for years I just bought Quaker State 30 weight. No real reason other than I had no lube problems I was aware of, so I stuck with it. I generally buy 15W40 now, any name brand that's cheapest. If we suffered those kind of temps often I'd go to Mobil 1. But we don't. I highly doubt what I heard had anything to do with the oil pump. My ears are pretty good for engine sounds. Closest sound to it I've heard is all the cam bearings wiping in my 352 when I botched the rebuild. But no bearings were wiped. Too loud for any bearing anyway. This was LOUD. I'll stick with rings on cylinder walls. Might be wrong though. It only lasted a couple revs.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

30 years ago was 1980. Multi-grade oil had been around for more than 30 years at that point in time.

People who used straight weight oil mostly changed to 10 weight for winter when temps well below zero were expected. Typically when using straight weight you changed oil at least 4 times a year with the seasons. Very few engines are going to crank fast enough to start at -10F with straight 30 weight.

It's almost impossible that the oil pump wouldn't be making some noise since it would be sucking air if the oil had sat long enough to be cooled down to -27F. You can't pour 30 weight out of a bottle or can at -27F. But strange noises can come from lots of things at that temp.

Reply to
jim

First few cars I had with automatic chokes, I converted back to manual- they sold kits for that back then. By the time I got through with that they seemed to have perfected automatic chokes.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I need to find J.C.Whitney's toll free phone number and ask for a snail mail catalog.I think J.C.Whitney sells some manual choke kits.Might be a few other things I want to order too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

866-529-5530
AMuzi

You can access everything they have online.. No need to snail it.

Reply to
hls

I guess while we're on the subject...

I see a lot of idling empty SUVs in parking lots this time of year. Malls, grocery stores, department stores, movie theaters, etc.

I presume that they do this so that 1) they can avoid the engine wear on startup and 2) they don't have to wait for it to warm up for the heater to work?

-J

Reply to
phaeton

Nobody in the vehicles, and the engine is running.People who do that are just begging for their vehicles to be stolen.

On the web, How to thwart car thieves cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Probably to keep it warm. Bad idea. The engine corrosion ("wear" ) business is technically correct, but its impact is overstated.

Reply to
hls

I'm the only one in this house who doesn't warm the car. I've given up telling wife and kids to not do that. More about wasting gas than anything. Not worth arguing about. They like a warm car from the getgo. Kenny Rogers - know when to fold.

--Vic

.
Reply to
Vic Smith