Flushing radiator, must i take off thermostat?

Flushing radiator, must i take off thermostat?

to avoid damaging it with water hose water

or does it matter

it seems i can run it through the radiator system without damage but not through the thermostat

or does it matter?

Reply to
Spockie

Removing the thermostat is not necessary. Just make sure you use a good quality radiator flush and bring the car to operating temperature so that the flush goes through the heater core. Prestone used to sell an adapter that you splice inbetween the heater intake hose and you attach a garden hose to the fitting and power flush the stystem. I have one on my car, and never had a problem.

Reply to
Rajsircar

In most cars, water is going through the heater core anytime the water valve (if equipped) is open.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

As soon as the cool flush liquid hits the thermostat, a properly working one won't remain open.

A better idea is to pick up a new gasket and thermostat and just change the cheap little thing if your radiator has been used long enough to actually need a flush.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11