Ford F150 Rotor installation problem

I took the rear driver rotor off my truck and was ready to replace it when a piece of the emergency brake shoe broke off (a wood-like substance that's like a shim about 1/8 or less). I'm need to travel miles tomorrow and I'm wondering if this is going to screw up my brakes if I just install the roto r without replacing the shoes.

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

That's known as the brake "lining", and is usually bonded securely to the metal frame, and together make up the "shoe". With age and use, they can start to crack and come apart, sometimes just losing chunks, sometimes coming completely unglued from the metal part.

If you have disc brakes on the rear (calipers and pads on the outside), and just the parking (not emergency) brake shoes on the inside, then you only need to worry if you rely on your parkng brake to keep the truck from moving unexpectedly (parking on really steep hills, or with a manual transmission, pretty much any hill). If you only lost a small chunk, don't worry about it. But if you lost the whole lining off a shoe....

Reply to
Sanity Clause

Much appreciated, Sanity!

Reply to
Michael

n a piece of the emergency brake shoe broke off (a wood-like substance that 's like a shim about 1/8 or less). I'm need to travel miles tomorrow and I' m wondering if this is going to screw up my brakes if I just install the ro tor without replacing the shoes.

Just don't use your parking brake and everything will be fine. Remember to park on level surfaces. Take a carpenter's level with you so you can check. I would change those shoes if you like to use that mechanical linkage brak e. Otherwise, move to an area that doesn't have hills.

Reply to
dsi1