frozen bolts in aluminum

I am posting this for a friend. He has a '91 Vette which has aluminum intake and heads. He has/is removing the intake and some of the bolts are seized. Seized to the point that he has twisted one off. Is there some recommended technique to "un-seizing" these bolts? If not, what is the recommended course of action once one is twisted off? Any hints, tips, suggestions, or funny jokes I can pass on will be appreciated. Frankly it reminds me of the old VW engine and it's problems.

Reply to
wß

This has to be one of my *least* favorite situations, penetrating oil and heat both help but be very careful with the latter. Aluminum is nowhere near as forgiving as cast iron. Bet your friend will be sure to put anti-seize on all the bolts when he reinstalls. If any of the threads in the heads are dorked up heli-coils or other threaded insert type deals are the way to go.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My website contains tips on removing stubborn fasteners.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

Nate is dead on. The only thing I have success with is heat. Sometimes a lot of it, actually. Totally a PITA and use anti-sieze when the bolts are re-installed.

Brian

Reply to
Brian