Replacing TJ tailgate hinges

Quite a while ago there was a discussion here about seizing tailgate hinges.

I bought a set of black (because I hate chrome) stainless hinges and finally got around to putting them on today.

Here's a tip for anyone that is planning on doing this. Don't even bother trying to loosen the T40 torx bolts in the hinges. After I broke the first T40 bit , I ran to my local parts store and bought four more T40s (figured that would be enough). After the second one twisted with no bolt movement, I gave up and simply drilled out the countersunk bolt heads, pulled the nutplates from behind the body and replaced with new hinges and bolts. Trust me on this one! Drill the damm things out and replace with new ones. It'll save you a hell of a lot of time. As for the broken and twisted torx bits......thank God for lifetime warranties! They're going back tomorrow!

Btw, the bottom tailgate hinge was so seized, that the only way I could close it once I got it off the jp was to clamp it into a bench vise and then pull like crazy on the longer part of the hinge to close it!

Hope ths helps someone.

Mike

98 TJ SE
Reply to