fuel pump problem

I have a ford E-150 that will not start I have narrowed the problem down to the fuel system.It has a fuel pump mounted on the driver side a long the rail ,it doesn't make the humming sound when I turn the switch on so I checked it with a voltmeter and its getting voltage and I can also here the relay click but nothing from the pump.The weird part is I disconected the harness from the fuel pump and ran 12 volts straight to the fuel pump and it kicked on.Someone told me it has two fuel pumps,one on the rail and one in the tank.Could the one in the tank cause the one on the rail not to work? Please help

Reply to
jerome

well since you bypassed it and ran 12V hot into it and it worked, that tells me the existing wiring has an open in it be it the wire damaged of the fuse blown.. or maybe a relay sticking..

Reply to
Eric F

For someone to answer if a fore E-150 has 2 fuel pumps, it would probably help to tell what year and what engine... That aside, if the pump runs with power on it, you may consider trying to start it. If it runs, I'd assume you found part of the problem (pump no run). You then have to figure out why. If the relay is cheap, I'd change it first. The contacts could be burned and cause high resistance. If it is ok, you have something else in the circuit dropping the voltage before it gets to the pump. could be corroded connector.

Reply to
bobby

It most likely has a low pressure pump in the tank. It should run in cooler weather without this pump, but will have intermittant vapor lock at warmer temps/higher altitudes.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney