fuel pump pin falling out?

I have a strange issue. It seems that a pin on my fuel pump is working its way out.

The pin I'm talking about is at the end of the arrow in this picture:

(but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try totake a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.) What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in? Is it ever supposed to come out like that??

More details: mechanical fuel pump (shorter alternator style, I think)

1971+ dual-port 1600cc engine 1965 karmann ghia
Reply to
Sam

(but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to> take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)>

You need to get that pin back in before it dislodges from the pump lever inside. Tap it carefully in, it should be flush with pump body(equal distance at each side as in centered). To get it to stay in you either need to knurl(Sp?) the end protruding before tapping it back in, or stalk the aluminium around its end when it is far enough in(side).

J.

Ps. If it gets far enough out you will no longer have a pump..

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Thanks for the help. That is what I was worried about. I hope I can tap it back in without any damage. :)

-Sam

Reply to
Sam

When you get it far enough in to reach the other side of the pump body, you might have to tap it at an slight angle to get it to enter the other hole. Take a good look at the pin before you tap it and see what angle it wants to tilt towards, either up or down, tap carefully in the opposite direction when there is something like 5mm's left. Not accurate measures here so your mileage may vary. J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

(but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to> take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)>

On older style pumps the pin has a circlip on each end that holds the pin in place. On many of the newer pumps the pin is staked in. Your pin has obviously worked its way out.

The pin forms the pivot point for an operating lever that is pumped up and down on one end of the lever by a rod that rubs against the distributor drive cam inside the engine case. The other end of the lever pumps the diaphragm located near the top of the fuel pump.

The following old RAMVA post describes the same problem you have and possible solutions if you have one of the staked-type pumps. The pic you supplied looks to be a staked-type pumps. Circlip-type pumps have several screws allowing the top of the pump to be separated from the lower part so that the diaphragm can be replaced if need be.

-- Randall

Reply to
Randall

Marc wrote:...the Brosol Brazilian work OK - sometimes the pivot pin fit isn't as tight as it should be (some folks put a blob of epoxy or JB Weld over each end for insurance against the pin walking out)...

Jim Ed wrote=85..The pin that holds the lever came out of a like new Brosol fuel pump. It had only about 3 years/ 3000 miles on it.

When the new fuel pump comes I was thinking of knocking the lever shaft pin out, cleaning it, and applying a little Red Loctite to the ends before replacing it. That should hold it in place.

I also cleaned it a put a blob of J.B.Weld Kwik Dry epoxy glue on the pin ends.

It has been working OK for 3 months now.

Reply to
Jim Ed

Thanks all. I got the pin back in (it actually fell out!) and everything worked fine.

-Sam

tps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5_tB418I87zALYODiVu0O_pGl5mgnfR...

Reply to
Sam

If you can find an old junk fuel pump that has a shaft with the C-Clip on both ends of the shaft you can take your pump off and replace the shaft thats in your pump with it and never worry about it again. Theses new pumps with the plastic holding the shaft in are prone to this happening. Most of the time once it works its way out it will continue to do so.

Reply to
lovebus

I have found that if the pin has already dropped out. it is difficult to get it back in because the "lever" inside drops down and blocks the pathway. I would suggest pushing in a tapered tool from the other side. maybe a phillips screwdriver . and in have found Crazy glue to penetrate such a tunnel and I've used it on the brass fitting into the old carbs. you know the inlet on top. and you can still stake it. and off topic; baldies unite; So-called 'Balders' Movement Gathers Steam

definitely O.T,

Reply to
Foo Fighter

(but, instead, mine is sticking way out. Maybe an inch. I'll try to> take a picture of the actual fuel pump soon.)> What is that pin for and how can I get it to go back in and stay in?> Is it ever supposed to come out like that??> More details:

No, it's not supposed to come out. Mine worked its way out to the point where the fuel pump stopped working and stranded me. If yours is a Brosol pump like mine, it seems to be a faulty design. There's nothing holding that pin in the pump body. They should have made it a little longer and put snap rings on the outside. I would replace it with a different brand before it completely fails.

Reply to
Rays74

Or. a drop of crazy glue. on either end of pin. pref. when new. works on the fuel inlet pipe on the carb. Too! you don't want that to work loose. and they do.

Reply to
Shoe-Chucker 2