Injected fuel pump needed

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a fuel pump for my fuel injected 69 Fastback. Any leads or aftermarket solutions?

Thanks! C

Reply to
CROQ

What's wrong with yours? In general they are quite reliable, so there's some chance that the problem is elsewhere.

OTOH, I'm doing my first ever FI fuel pump rebuild right now, on my '73 square.

-

Jim Adney

Hi Jim, It sat dry, for a LONG time, ten years maybe. I pulled the impellor cover off and found larvae carcass in the impellor so I assume more are in the motor. Not to mention corrosion since critters needed water. I did first try dumping diesel fuel into the pump and running electricity straight to it, just got a tiny click/hum out of it. I let it sit for a month with diesel in it and tried again, same results. Tried turning the shaft by hand and it's tight. I figure I will definitely destroy the motor if I try to pull the end out of the case but I may have some success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! C

Reply to
CROQ

Does it look like this?

Ted/77std

Reply to
Ted

That's the one Ted,,, cept that price is for one of them Porsche super car fuel pumps. If this is my only option I'll either have to buy another fasty and strip it, which leaves me with another car to find a fuel pump for, or, I'll have to buy an aftermarket racing fuel pump and figure out what to do with the return fuel line.

What would you suggest? I am leaning toward the aftermarket solution but I really don't have a clue about that return line.

CROQ

This person sells used fuel pumps on ebay. I have no direct knowledge of their honesty or lack thereof, but their feedback is very good. Might be worth checking with them to see if they have what you want. Typical price seems to be about $80.

I have been pretty lucky finding used parts on ebay. If the item I'm looking for doesn't come up on an auction directly, sometimes I'll find it by emailing a seller who appears to be parting out a vehicle.

I think you should keep looking for a used one.

Ted

Reply to
Ted

That's our type 3 pump. The price is a bit high, but that's retail for it. There's bound to be a cheaper solution, however.

What's wrong with your current pump? I think I've just finished fixing what was wrong with mine, but I have to get it back together this weekend to make sure I managed to get it leak tite.

Mine would spin but no fluid came out the output line, only the overflow line. Turned out to be a 3 cent rubber part in there which had finally failed after 30+ years. I made a better than new replacement out of Teflon.

I could probably make another one, but you'd have to send me your pump to rebuild and install it.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks Ted,

I have been searching ebay, just have not seen any pumps for a while. You know the story, have cash and nothing to buy, but no cash and deals of the century abound.

I'll keep looking. C

Reply to
CROQ

Hey Jim,

I'll take your floor model for $150. ;) My pump will not turn with electricity, there is too much goop or corrosion in the motor. I have already removed the impellor and it's fine. I need to remove the end of the motor to clean it out but I'm not sure of that process, the case is crimped onto the motor end.

Have you pulled the motor itself apart?

CROQ

Croc--there's a few type 3 fi fuel pumps for sale at thesamba.com, either alone or in combination with other fi parts. I searched the classifieds for "fuel" in the type 3 parts area, also searched for "fi". Ted

Reply to
Ted

Thanks Ted,

I emailed a few of those folks over the past week and no one at that time would separate the pump from the rest of the FI system. I'll keep checking and if no other avenue opens up I may just buy the entire FI system. With my luck I'll probably find I need injectors and a brain anyway.

CROQ

I could probably rebuild pumps for much less than $150, but I'm really not completely set up for that, yet.

I have another pump here which I pulled the motor case apart on. I haven't tried to put it back together, but I believe that it's quite doable, with a new O-ring. As long as the permanent magnets are not broken, I don't see any problem with taking them apart. You just have to pry up the 5 places where the case is crimped in.

I have a note from another type 3 person that the O-ring you need for the motor housing is a #134. I haven't verified that, but close should be good enough for that location.

I've replaced the O-rings in my pump head. I believe I used 2 #26 O-rings for the pump and 1 # 109 for the relief valve. I can check thoes numbers tomorrow if you're interested.

-

Jim Adney

OUCH!!!! Mighty expensive pump. A little cheaper here:

the same part # in the search box. E3000-117965VW Mart = $407.86 Importec = $395.22

Karl

Karl, thanks for the link! C

Reply to
CROQ

Yes, I'm still interested. How exactly did you pry up the crimps? Big screwdriver wedged against the end?

CROQ

Yes, and then you have to tap the end cap off the motor. Note that there are ceramic magnets mounted inside the cap, so if you let it fall and they break the game is over. There are also some shims on the motor shaft that you'll want to keep track of, and reinstall.

My notes show a # 134 O-ring for the motor casing, but in the back of my mind I think I substituted one with a larger cross section. I'll double check tomorrow.

The correct O-ring for the relief valve is a number 110, and for the pump body use two 026 rings.

-

Jim Adney

I checked, and a # 134 is the correct size.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks for the help Jim!

CROQ

I spoke too soon. I replaced the # 134 with a larger # 225. Use the latter size. Sorry for the confusion.

-

Jim Adney

Got it, Thanks! C

Reply to