Fuel stabilizers

How do fuel stabilizers work? They cannot change the boiling point of a compound, can they? Do they make new compounds with different boiling points/vapor pressures? Or do they put some sort of layer on top of gas surface?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

The ones I know of dont work that way, but I am not really cutting edge in this sort of chemistry. Boiling point is a function of vapor pressure, and vapor pressure is a function of temperature (of a consistent liquid). You can elevate the boiling point by dissolving materials in the solvent, but the effect is relatively small.

The chemicals I know of are basically antioxidants. They help prevent free radical reactions which cause some molecules to react forming gums, precipitates, etc. They can be packaged into solvents which can sometimes be helpful in their own right.

Hope you get a better answer.

Reply to
HLS

Ahh! so they have nothing to do then with preventing gas getting stale because of losing more volatile components then?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Correct.

Reply to