Fusible Link Cable

I have a 1985 Chevy Celebrity 2.8 V6-Multi port fuel injection, where is the fusible link cable located? The cable broke on both ends due to old age and I need to replace it. Thanks Big Mamma

Reply to
BigMamma

They are located on the starter solenoid bolt where the main battery cable connects. If I remember right, they are a pain to get at because there is a cover down there that has to come off first.

The dealers and some auto parts places sell the cable by the foot. It needs to be about the same length as stock and has to be crimped into place. Solder will damage the properties of the wire. Most on that are

14 ga. protecting 10 ga. circuits like the lights or ignition. One other is smaller I think too.

Mike

Mike Romain

Do you think it's really a fusible link cable being referenced? I've never known then to die of old age. I suspect what is being referenced is the braided bare ground strap which could well have corroded to death at both ends and the remains landed on the driveway.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Good point. The ground strap on those usually comes from a bell housing bolt up to the body. Not sure which bolt though, but the remains of the loop should still be there.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you do not know where the fusible link is how do you know it has failed at both ends?

John G

Reply to
John G