Loose steering and hard brake questions

This is a Ford Crown Vic 1997.

The steering wheel is very light to steer. I assume this is usual for American made car (compared to my Honda, which the steering is very hard). However when drive under windy, I feel the crown vic is out of control. I have to not only steer over to compensate for the wind, but move back and forth constantly to keep stability. This seems very dangerous if going high way. For other car, drive under high wind, or drive over bridge, I feel the car is pushed, but not out of control.

I also notice that when I turn (at about 5 mile per hour) right, sharply, I hear 1 metal popping sound.

With these symptoms, what do you think the problem is?

The question on the brake is rather simple. For all the cars (Honda, Chevrolet, Nissan, Chrysler, etc.), I haven't experienced a hard brake petal like this car. It works, but I have to press real hard. Is this normal for this type of car, or some kind of brake fuse blown out, or something fails to work properly?

Reply to
vdu

Check tire pressure. Sounds like a classic case of OVER-inflated front tires. Use the sticker in the door jamb for Ford recommended inflation front and rear. The side of the tire does NOT provide recommended pressure no matter what anybody tells you. The side of the tire provides information regarding MAXIMUM load at MAXIMUM inflation. Recommended inflation depends on the vehicle the tire is installed on and -- in many cases -- is different front and rear.

You need to have the front end inspected by a qualified shop.

Not at all.

NO

Probably power brake booster.

Don

Don

others have Power asist.The popping sound is probally the lower control arm bushings are worn out or sometimes the ball joint.Hard brakes could be: vaccum line,Brake booster check valve,fluid over filled, ABS motor malfunction,Brake booster...just going to have to get it checked..Good luck...Brian

Reply to
berbe