Gas Petal Freezeup

About a year ago (roughly) I posted a message here about gas petal freezeup (have to bang it hard with my foot to release it) and engine quitting during engine warmup while driving during cold weather and got good responses here saying it was due to throttle body icing.

1995 Olds. At that time I said I would get back here to say what action was taken to fix it. Well, I took no action and the problem still is there but seems to be becoming very much less severe as if fixing itself. That's all. With summer approaching this will be no problem until next winter approaches.

Alexm

Reply to
Alexm

The throttle body is dirty, clean it before you break a throttle cable.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike Walsh

IMO, whoever told you that was wrong. No icing on that mpfi engine. Odds are the cable is shot or the throttle body is gunked up. The quitting may be due to IAC failure or MAF gunked up. Sounds like the entire thing needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote in news:WdOdnQ6KRcRT6nPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

it is possible if the heated air intake is not working correctly. granted not overly likely. KB

Reply to
Kevin

"Alexm" wrote

A petal is part of a flower. Your car has a gas peDal.

Reply to
The spelling police

What about VW microbuses ? 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for the spelling correction. Gas pedal and break pedal - must remember to spell them correctly. :-)

Alexm

Reply to
Alexm

did you break your brake pedal?

why bother?

Reply to
jim beam

Bother, you say? The brake pedal was unbroken. : >)

Alexm

Reply to
Alexm

air enough to from ice. This usually happened with high humidity and temperatures in the 30's F. I have never heard of it with fuel injection.

It can happen. Although there is no fuel evaporation at or near the throttle blade with multi-point fuel injection, there IS a sudden drop in pressure across the blade so there is a sudden temperature drop. If the throttle body is dirty, a little ice can form on the muck around the rim of the blade and hold it shut.

I agree with the poster who said the OP should clean the throttle body before he breaks the throttle cable and gets stranded

Reply to
Steve