Seeking Idle Problem

I was hoping that someone could recommend a possible solution to my Rover's seeking idle problem. First off its a European 1995 Rover Mini
with a 1.3L SPI engine. I don't believe the MK designation is the same here as is there but its a 5 speed with 2 dummy lights (Oil, Battery). The problem is that the idle when I'm stopped will fluctuate between normal and 2000rpm and then occasionally stall the engine. Whats worse is that occasionally the idle will rev up and stick at 3000 rpms but can be fixed by either turning off the engine for a second or revving the engine up to 5k or so and then the idle settles back down. Its a new problem that started after I fixed the thermostat and only happens after the engine is warm. With the stuck thermo it never happened. I appreciate any help, you guys were great when I was fixing my headlights. Seeking Idle
Jeff
Map sensor maybe?
Jmanis2 wrote:

Yes, I would go for that also Jono, I would also check the throttle body and give it a good clean out with carb cleaner, also clean the switch on the side of the throttle body,, One quick question,,, is the temp gauge working correctly,,,, if not,,change the temp switch,,( the ECU might think the engine is cold and then switch to cold start mode) this could also be the fault, HTH Fitzy

I believe the SPI has a switch somewhere near the gas pedal, so when the pedal is not pressed down (engine idle), this switch tells the ECU to keep the engine in idle.
Maybe worth checking if that switch is still OK?
Bye, Ray
Jmanis2 wrote:

These are one set of symptons for a leak in the Manifold Air Preasure (MAP) sensor. The sensor is actually located inside the MEMS box (6 inch square aluminium box usually located near the front clutch side of the engine bay with a great wad of wires coming out the bottom).
There is a thin plastic tube that comes out the back of the injector body towards the firewall. You will need to remove air cleaner to access it - if you have the standard air cleaner then there is a second tube from the air cleaner box that leads to another point next to the MAP line that will help you find where it connects. This tube goes to a small black plastic box a little bigger than a match box (an oil trap that is usually mounted near the clutch master cylinder), then a second tube goes from this box to the bottom of the MEMS.
Check the rubber connectors on the ends of these tubes are not split or perished, and that the tubes are firmly connected so as to not leak. Also check that the tubes haven't been crushed or broken.
Another proble is when oil or fuel gets into the sensor inside them MEMS. This why they have the separator on the line, but sometimes it still gets past it. Take off the tube between the MEMS and the separator and blow through it and check that no liquid comes out. If there is, dab an absorbent rag or paper towel on the tube's connector at the bottom of the MEMS and try to draw out any fluids that may be inside there.
John in Oz