geo metro alternator problems

5 alternators 6 belts and 3 bat. and it still squeals belts if i start car and it squeals i shut it off and restart it i have to restart it with lights and heater off or it will squeal and the belt is tight i know if it is to tight it will harm water pump

does any one have help

Reply to
HaroldA102

This may sound crazy but go get an OEM belt from a dealer. This problem has been addressed several times on a professional technicians network and this was the fix.

Good luck Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb

bud were going to give it a try .

Reply to
HaroldA102

That's funny, you might've said your solution at the very end of the post :) Try changing out the water pump. There's only three wheels on the belt; the water pump, the alternator and the crankshaft, and you've already ruled out at least one wheel (the alternator).

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

My GEO did the very same thing. Sqealing at startup.Like you I had to shut all electrical accessories to avoid this annoying noise.

My alt was ok, the water pump was also ok.The pulley have been cleaned carefully with brake cleaner. the belt properly adjusted.Pulley alignment was right on and That noise remains a mystery for me. I like the idea to try the OEM belt.If that did ot work try ear plug..;-)

Reply to
Rick

People drive with squeals that goes on for long periods and glazes the pulley. Now the pulley is as slippery as ice. This is one scenario. But the solution for this is to apply anti-slip formula. Spray on a towel and wipe it on.

The other cause, as one other person noted, is that OEM and aftermarkets are different than people realize. The softer sticky feel of the OEM are noticeable to the keen observer.

It wouldn't hurt to feel the water pump or alternator for sluggishness. Also, over tightening the wrong bolt on the alternator can lock the arbor.

-- Milo

Reply to
Indiån §ummer