Getting a HANDLE on your Car!

I continue to be interested in how designers improve aerodynamics of vehicle bodies over the decades, from windshield and rear window rake to flush glass to the roundness of the transition from front bumper to quarter-panels. Composite/organic headlamps, that integrate with the body, replaced the round sealed beams of the 60s and square sealed beams of the 70s.

Has any reasearch been done on the aerodynamic drag of different exterior-door handle designs

??

I definitely prefer what I call the "refrigerator" handle design which has appeared on most makes of car and truck since m/y 2000. The second and third examples in the above link(on Acuras) exemplify this design. Disappearing is the "flush" or recessed handle(scroll down, several Audi, Caddy, and Chevy examples of this design) which I always thought was more aerodynamic, but less ergonomic.

Just thought I'd breach a topic taken largely for granted by car users, and muse it's contribution or reduction to aerodynamics of the vehicle.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Another factor that influences door handle design is that I believe some ECE reg requires that door handles have a loop with both ends attached to the structure of the door (I'm paraphrasing, and didn't look up the actual reference) if you notice, it is only American and Asian cars that use the "flap" style door handle, which I loathe (due to a flaky power lock on my previous Impala, I would always peel back my fingernails when trying to open the LR door, forgetting to visually check if it had really unlocked first... eventually I started pressing the "unlock" button 4-5x before trying the door, but even then sometimes it wouldn't work. The newer model Impalas use door handles that appear to be in line with ECE regs.)

All my German cars have had handles with a loop, either the squeezy trigger kind (older VWs, Porsche) or ones where you actually pull the loop out to unlatch the door (VW Corrado, VW GTI 1.8T - and also the new (2008) Impala even though it's not German. Handles on the Impala look similar to the Malibu, which I believe is based off an Opel so that makes sense.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Easier for ol' Biff to stick his cane through, eh?

LOL!

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster
1947 Ford, Biff's car? Back to the Future.(I love those Back to the Future movies) It had real Good door handles. cuhulin
Reply to
J R