GM announces Hummer sale can not be concluded, brand to be wound down

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

Thank you Arnold for making a car you can't park anywhere drive anywhere except on roads for people to drive everywhere gobbling up gas everyone else could have used.

Don't get me wrong, the Hummer 1 was quite probably the best off road vehicle in the world, but it was being sold in one of the most populus countries on earth. If it was needed anywhere it would not be a place with more cars and roads than any other country on earth.

I'm not going to comment on the later versions.

Reply to
fred

Anyone can Google the H2 and H3 versions. H1 was essentially the military version, if I understand correctly.

These are cars that were appealing to some people while the economy was riding high. IMO, they are the modern day Edsels.

I admire success, and hope someone can pull success from the jaws of defeat in this case. Things live if they need to live. ???

Reply to
hls

H1 had the military frame and drive train, but it was lighter in a few ways and it was SUPER comfortable compared with the military version, with features like air conditioning and some fibreglass insulation around the transmission case. On the military version in hot weather you can burn your right calf on the transmission case.

A good friend of mine is a broadcast engineer and he has an early-seventies International which he takes out to remote transmitter sites. He's precisely the sort of person that the H1 would have been perfect for, if had cost a little bit less and didn't have quite so many mandatory options.

I dunno, the Edsel seemed like a much nicer car to me.

The H2 and H3 had no reason to ever live. The H1 deserved to live, but GM killed it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey