GM To Remove 'Mark Of Excellence' Logo From Vehicles

GM To Remove 'Mark Of Excellence' Logo From Vehicles

General Motors Co. will begin removing its "Mark of Excellence" logo from vehicles as the company places greater emphasis on its individual brands.

GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan said Tuesday the company would phase out the placement of the GM logo on its cars and trucks, leaving just the GMC, Chevrolet, Cadillac or Buick logos on the vehicles.

"We really want to elevate the prominence of our four core brands," he said. "It's really going to be an intense focus."

GM is discontinuing or selling its other four brands, Hummer, Saab, Pontiac and Saturn.

The final decision to remove the silver square logo was made earlier this month, although executives had mentioned the possibility of such a move months ago. The company found that consumers had a greater affinity for GM's individual brands than the corporate name.

"What we're seeing is the GM brand gets dinged big time in terms of considering a GM vehicle," said Mike DiGiovanni, GM's executive director of global market and industry analysis, during a monthly sales conference call in April. "But when you look at Chevrolet, Cadillac and our other brands, they haven't changed."

The company began putting the logos on all its vehicles in North America in 2005.

Rhadigan said removing the logo - which is generally placed on the lower section of the door panel - from some models will be more difficult than on others. On vehicles where a specific indentation is made in the sheet metal for the logo, phasing it out will take longer. On models such as the Camaro or Equinox, removal is easier, and will begin immediately, Rhadigan said.

Taking the logos off the vehicle will save GM a "nominal" amount of money, Rhadigan said.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

So they save 10 cents on a sticker. When are they going to thin out executive management? Now that might lop off a thousand or two, expecial with their bailouts they expect. In fact, if GM was smart they would have done that during their first bankruptcy as to duck the bailouts.

Your typical NA company is over burdened with mama management. Managers at GM need to learn to deligate and fire incompetance, and not to mother and appease it. As do many other organizations weighted down in costly and dysfunctional politics.

Now, it appears they are penny wise and pound foolish. Saving the cost of a sticker isn't news, it is routine in a good business.

Good to see GM is on course for bankruptcy #2.

Reply to
Canuck57

Where is this logo? I don't recall seeing it one on my 78 Oldsmobile or the two GM cars I currently own.

harryface

91 Bonneville 319,498 05 Park Avenue 87, 349
Reply to
Harry Face

The last time I looked for one it was on the GM badge on the doorplate. Used to be a Blue GM logo with the "Mark of Excellence" around it in the circle. The earlier ones had it in a star-burst behind the GM letters. I have also seen it on the under hood stickers.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've seen it on older cars on the key heads and also the seatbelt release buttons.

My '07 Impala has a "GM" logo on the lower front fender (I think? Maybe the front of the door? never looked that close)

nate

Reply to
N8N

it's goddamned ridiculous, a few letters more or less on a stamp or a sticker is going to save GM any money ? how many hours, days and weeks of committee meetings were spent that they decided this was a worthwhile endeavor ? It is so freaking timid it is like going to the beach and sticking a themometer in to see if the waters cold. If this is the sign of the new GM then it is a sure sign everyones money is going down the toilet...really, just take the whole lot of managers execs and higher out back, throw them against the wall and be done with it.

Reply to
raamman

it's goddamned ridiculous, a few letters more or less on a stamp or a sticker is going to save GM any money ? how many hours, days and weeks of committee meetings were spent that they decided this was a worthwhile endeavor ? It is so freaking timid it is like going to the beach and sticking a themometer in to see if the waters cold. If this is the sign of the new GM then it is a sure sign everyones money is going down the toilet...really, just take the whole lot of managers execs and higher out back, throw them against the wall and be done with it.

read the statement it has nothing to do with saving money. 99.99 percent didnt even know what it stood for. including the posters to this group.

Reply to
Tom

Increasing brand awareness- yep, but meaningless- buy a corvette a cadillac whatever, that is how we refer to the car already not as a gm- so it has a some sticker, badge etc that says "gm- mark of excellence"; but it will be changed to say just "gm"- big freaking deal

"Taking the logos off the vehicle will save GM a "nominal" amount of money, Rhadigan said. "; I forgot to add that they got some accountants to figure exactly how much too, I wonder how many days or weeks that took ?

Reply to
raamman

Increasing brand awareness- yep, but meaningless- buy a corvette a cadillac whatever, that is how we refer to the car already not as a gm- so it has a some sticker, badge etc that says "gm- mark of excellence"; but it will be changed to say just "gm"- big freaking deal

"Taking the logos off the vehicle will save GM a "nominal" amount of money, Rhadigan said. "; I forgot to add that they got some accountants to figure exactly how much too, I wonder how many days or weeks that took ? \\

with your negative mind set you will never get it. the idea is brand awareness not gm awareness gm will not appear on the car at all. ala Toyoto Sion Lexus etc.

Reply to
Tom

it's goddamned ridiculous, a few letters more or less on a stamp or a sticker is going to save GM any money

What's ridiculous is that you don't know what "nominal" means.

Reply to
Dave

I have re-read it, and it still doesnt make sense.

"Mark of Excellence" was really just a very subtle joke, wasnt it?

Reply to
hls

just like this Toyota RAV4 ECM module fails causing tranmission failure if not replace at once. Toyota has known this since 2006 and only issued a TSB many RAV 4 owners are stuck with expensive transmission repairs

Reply to
Tom

And do Toyota have cheap "Mark of Excellence" stickers on their cars?

Reply to
hls

Toyota didn't go bankrupt, GM did. Mark of excellence indeed!

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Oh I remember now its the little GM silver sqaure logo that isn't readable while stopped in traffic . Funny how a Nissan, Ford, maxda or Toyota logo is very noticable though......

harryface

91 Bonneville 319,498 05 Park Avenue 87, 349
Reply to
Harry Face

Agreed. The only mark of excellence GM has is in not paying their biills and stealing from the taxpayers.

Reply to
Canuck57

And now GM uses the $2.50 you pay in taxes each year to build it's vehicles.

You should stop saying that. The Roman's don't like you claiming you are one of them, and they are going to punish you for it.

Reply to
80 Knight

And well they should! I am still seething from a Buick Century I purchased in 1984. I traded this POS in after 8 months.

GM - never again!

Reply to
JimG

Then why, oh top-posting Troll, are you in a GM newsgroup?

Reply to
80 Knight

toyota is recalling 95K toyota for brake failure

Toyota has covered up ECM failure causing transmission destruction in RAV 4s since 2006 causing expensive repairs for customers

This is all this week from a company that professes to have the best quality control in the business in 2007 Toyota had the most recalls of any automobile comany, yet everyone fall all over the toyota name. They also are closing a US factory and moving production to Japan and canada. IF it was GM it would be front page news. wonder how much advertising dollars buys

Reply to
Tom