GM: First VOLT, NOW Spark..

It will probally be a roaring success like the Volt. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

The electric car market, I understand, is far below expectations. Money spent on development of new age batteries seems to have been peed away.

This doesnt seem to be the way of the future.

"Keep the change, Obama"

Reply to
hls

The next new model from GM will be the Shaft.

Reply to
Mr.E

GTT, Gone To Texas.Nope, it didn't make it that far! cuhulin

Reply to
J R

potw

Reply to
jim beam

Not a surprise that electrics don't sell. They are not even close to being a practical vehicle for 99% of the population of the world.

Reply to
Steve W.

I would be ironic if GM had to go back to old school Gasoline heaters like the 60's VW's had to make the cars suitable for cold climate use

bob

Reply to
bob urz

As I recall, GM had gasoline heaters in the Corvair and it used a spark plug and a separate coil and points system to ignite the mix. I can only imagine that it must have been on the noisy side in operation.

My guess is that the electric cars will use electric motors to drive heat pumps for heating and cooling. There used to be a guy that was trying to develop an AC system that used air as the working fluid. Maybe that might work in this new age.

Reply to
dsi1

well theoretically, they're perfect for the vast majority of urban and suburban users and their normal routine usage if you're doing traffic analysis. but a car is not just transportation, it's freedom. freedom to go and do stuff outside your routine, even if you don't do it very often. that is what people won't sacrifice. i know i won't.

Reply to
jim beam

My guess is that an aging population will find that it suits their needs well. They don't commute or take long trips. Mostly they need a grocery getter, something to get them to church on Sundays, and a way to get to their many doctor's appointments. They won't have to mess with oil, gas, and water either.

Reply to
dsi1

The aging population is not too stupid. These cars make no sense at all for the majority of people.

If many of these older people have been screwed by GM over the years, it means even a leaner market.

Your arguments are basically bullshit. I dont know many people who would buy into this crap.

Reply to
hls

Ha ha - you're funny!

Reply to
dsi1

At least my Corvair has a gas heater. What do you do with an electric on those -20F mornings?

Reply to
AMuzi

Move to the tropics?

Reply to
dsi1

A new Obama giveaway program for Obama Motors customers! Finance this car and we'll give you a house!

What could that cost?

Reply to
AMuzi

Rubbish. I know many retired people who regularly take long driving trips, some in RVs, some in cars.

Reply to
Roger Blake

My guess is that most old folks drive considerably less then young folks. I'm entitled to my opinion as are you. So there! :-)

Reply to
dsi1

But I *am* one of the "old folks" and know from personal experience rather than idle speculation. So there! :-) :-)

Reply to
Roger Blake

What a reVOLTing developement this is! ~ William Bendix - The Life of Riley. cuhulin

Reply to
J R