goofed and broke plastic around drain plug. Is this piece part of the radiator?

Made the darn mistake of forcing the drain plug. I wasn't sure which way to turn pull etc. I have a leak in the shroud around the drain plug cracked it pretty good. Is this the radiator. If not what is the part called. How hard to replace? special tools? Any info would be appreciated

Reply to
ev1001

Unfortunately yes, it sounds like you have cracked one of the end pieces (tanks) of the radiator. It's not really a good candidate for a DIY repair, although it can be done by the more daring of us. Specialty radiator shops often have the proper equipment to remove and re-crimp the tanks and it might be worth calling one to see if they'll do it for a reasonable price. They can order replacement tanks and gaskets for the more common cars and some shops even keep used tanks from radiators they've replaced in stock. I must warn you that I've been told by one such shop that tank replacement is not a guaranteed fix and may not last even when they do it. While you're asking about that, get a quote on an aftermarket replacement radiator from them. Sometimes they have the OEM replacement or better designed radiators at very reasonable prices.

In article , "ev1001" wrote:

way to turn pull etc. I have a leak in the shroud around the drain plug cracked it pretty good. Is this the radiator. If not what is the part called. How hard to replace? special tools?

Reply to
Alexis

I just had a tank replaced. cost $75. I carried the radiator in. They quoted $245 to bring the car in. What kind of car do you have ?

Reply to
TOLYN9