headliner repair ideas?

i drive a 97 VW passat and not only have i had a handful of mechanical problems, but now to top it all off my ABS light comes on randomly and my headliner is falling down. i can't even have people sit on the passenger side without it falling in their face, and i can't drive with the windows down or the sunroof open because it continues to come down even more. i was going to spend a day taking the liner out and gluing the fabric back up with some spray adhesive stuff, but i was wondering if anyone thought it might be better for me to take it somewhere (i don't know- an upholstery place or something?) or if this is something that most people can do by themselves. also, if i do take it somewhere, does anybody know how much it will cost? any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
virginia

The only solution to this problem is to replace the cloth, as the foam backing has deteriorated and gluing it back up will last only a short time. A trim shop should be able to do this for you for $100-150 or you could try to do it yourself, headliner cloth is available at many fabric stores. If you DIY use some good adhesive like the spray 3M stuff.

nate

(is it a bad sign that I spend more time in fabric stores than my girlfriend? It's all for my car, honest.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Do not use 3m 08080 spray adhesive for the headliner. I tried that last winter, despite being warned, as this was the only spray adhesive I could find in Sweden.

The result was beautiful, but after having had the car parked in the sun a couple of times, the headliner is once again sagging.

I have now been able to obtain the recommended 3m 08090, but have not reglued it.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

There was a post in this group a few months back where someone said in his town, there was a mobile service that would supply and install a new headliner for $150.00. As I recall, they didn't give a name or location. Perhaps if you call a few upholstery shops in your area, you can find a similar service. I have only experienced the sagging headliner problem on two GM vehicles. Chrysler, which I drive most, have never had the problem. Gluing probably won't work too well as the headliner is attached to a foam backing and the foam is what deteriorated and causes the problem. I used a stapler on one car to tack the headliner back up. Didn't look great, but did the job. Best of luck!

Reply to
Loose Cannon