Help.... tips on starting an older truck in cold weather...???

A friend of mine drives an older truck (1986 Chevy Van) which is used for delivery purposes. It's kinda like a smaller bread truck. I am not sure of the exact type of engine but I do know that it is NOT electronic injection.

Anyway... Lately, it has been getting cold at night with temps getting down intyo the 30s.

Now... usually the truck starts fairly easily. He will pump it about

7 or 8 times and then turn the key... and it will usually start up.

Well... this morning, that didn't work. So he continues to pump the gas and went on and on with trying to start it. Problem is... he did this for too long and it drained the battery and he needed a jump start.

Now... this is what we're wondering. Should you PUMP the pedal repeatedly several times before turning the key? Should you just hold the pedal down for a certain duration without pumping it?

Can someone give us some tips to get this thing going on cold mornings. Another thing... the guy that jumped us said that we probably FLOODED the carburetor and that's what caused to truck not to start.

How can you keep the carburetor from flooding?

Like I said... it will usually start but today it seemed like more work than usual so I'm turning to you guys for some pointers.

Thanks in advance

LEESA (I)

Reply to
LEESA

pumping the pedal on older carburetor engines squirts fuel into the intake to sorta prime the motor.. Generally pressing the pedal once should set the choke if it's set up properly. Flooded motors you should hold the pedal to the floor while starting.

I have used the pumping method on a '65 Corvair that didn't have a choke and on real cold days (under 30F) I'd sometimes crank the motor for 20-30 seconds before it would fire up. I then bought some starting fluid to aid the starting on those cold days.

Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 01:55:04 -0800 (PST), LEESA wrote:

Last 350 I had was a '78. Chevy van. Probably close to the one you're talking about. Always started after less than 1/2 a revolution, even when it was

-26F. Good thing too, because at that temp even a good battery doesn't crank long. Here's what I did every year, usually October. If the distributor is electronic, skip that part. Distributor - change points and condenser, check dwell angle and timing. Ignition wires - replace with new ones. Spark plugs - replace with new ones. Carb - with outside temp below 40F, push throttle linkage all the way, and check that choke fully closes, and that high idle cam engages. Warm up engine, and ensure that choke fully opens, and high idle cam comes off when throttle is tapped. When the choke is set like this, one press of the gas pedal fully to the floor will set up the choke and high idle cam. No pumping necessary. Certainly not at the temps you mentioned. Pumping leads to flooding. When starting a flooded engine in cold weather, hold the accelerator to the floor, and prop the choke open with something that won't fall in the carb throat. Best to let it sit a bit first. This all assumes the engine is properly tuned and not worn out, and that the carb is in decent shape. The choke on the carbed GM cars I've had can be set by loosening the cover screws and turning the cover. It's a round thing on the side of the carb with a shaft connected to the choke butterfly, which is the top of the carb. The choke element ages, and can change to not fully closing the choke. Best to check it every year if you always want your car to start. Have to take off the air cleaner to see the butterfly.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Don't pump the pedal too much... if at all.

Personally I'd go for checking / cleaning / regapping the plugs (as needed), replacing plug leads (if they're ancient), getting a good battery, and making sure the wiring to the starter is in good condition (and the return path to the chassis).

IME cold starting issues are often electrical in nature, with fuel delivery problems less likely.

A block heater might not be a bad idea - I don't think they're expensive, and having less resistance due to warmer oil should help.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

You should not have to pump the accelerator like that if the engine is working as it should. (But many do not work as they should, and need these priming shots)

You can easily flood the engine with gasoline by doing this.

If so, hold the accelerator to the floorboard and try starting it again...Dont pump anymore.

If your battery is weak to start with, cold weather makes them worse.

Maybe your friend should give the vehicle a seasonal tune-up.

Reply to
hls

If you have to pump the pedal more than twice to get the truck to start in cold but not arctic conditions, I would suspect a misadjusted or faulty choke mechanism, or a weak accelerator pump. Check to make sure that when you floor the pedal the first time (with the engine cold) that the choke plate snaps shut, and also (this time, holding the choke plate open with your finger) that you see a nice steady stream of gasoline coming out of both nozzles as the throttle opens.

nate

Reply to
N8N

How do you know that? A 1986 could have either a carburetor or Throttle Body Injection (TBI). Engines with TBI look like they have a carburetor, but in fact, it uses electronically controlled fuel injectors to supply the fuel to the carburetor looking device. Easy to tell.....

Removve the air cleaner. If it has a choke plate, it is carburetted. If not, it is TBI.

If it has TBI, pumping the accelerator won't make any difference. If it is caburetted, then he needs to make sure the choke is operating properly. With a carburetor, pumping the throttle might help, but it is also easy to flood the engine.

A van that old probably should get new plug wires and plugs. If it has a carburetor, it is important to verify that the choke is oeprating properly.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If the vehicle has a carburetor, see if J.C.Whitney company sells a manual choke control kit for that vehicle.

Try a shot of carburetor cleaner into the carburetor instead of starting fluid.An old ''trick'' is to lay a 100 watt light bulb somewhere against the engine block to help warm the engine oil.

I love those old ''tricks'' cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin