Diesel Cold Starting Problem

My 106 Peugeot diesel has done 130,000 miles and has, until recently, been very good to start.

But now I am finding that, despite waiting 10 seconds from the time at which the glow-plug light goes out before I crank, the engine can take 10 or 15 attempts before it starts. It then runs a little rough for the first minute or so.

I have replaced all four glow plugs and put some injector cleaner into the fuel. This has made little difference.

What do these symptoms point to?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris (Hampshire)

Reply to
cbjroms

Have you checked if the glow plugs are getting any power? Id check that 1st.

Apparently another very common problem is the inlet valve clearance closes up with wear. The Haynes manual goes through the procedure for checking them.

Let us know how you get on.

Steven

Reply to
Steven

have you got battery voltage to the glow plugs during preheat? if your happy with the glow plugs and the cranking speed is ok then do a compression test dunno wot the spec is on a pug but with fords its 28-32

Reply to
ford_technical_

First check that power goes to the glow plugs. Then remove each and every glow plug and make sure that it actually glows !! Do not assume that new glow plugs will be ok. If they are ok then check that you are not getting air leaking back into the system overnight, on Vauxhalls this is often caused by cracked leakoff pipes from the injectors.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In message , cbjroms writes

How long since you changed the engine oil? In a diesel old oil turns to sludge, and cranking the engine imposes too much load on the battery.

Reply to
Keith

Any white smoke on startup? Unburned fuel - indicating the glow plugs aren't doing their job. Try two sessions of pre heating. If it works maybe they're wrong glowplugs for that motor. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Before you do all the awkward & expensive stuff, check if there is an air leak in the fuel line. I had the same symptoms & that's what it was. In normal running, the engine sucks fuel ok but when standing the air gets into the pipe until the fuel in the pipe sinks to the level of that in the tank, forming an air lock. The engine then cannot start until this air is cleared out of the injectors. Dave B

Reply to
Dave

There may be a non-return valve fitted on the inlet side of the fuel filter to stop diesel flowing back to the tank. It may be faulty.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Check the primer is not drawing air, after a while they can start to draw air and that would give the symptons you describe Next time before starting from cold, prime the pump a few times till it goes solid, if it then starts quicker, there is air being drawn in from somewhere

Des

Reply to
Des

Provided the glow plugs are working correctly, then this would be my next suspect part.

Usually if they're leaking, when you try pumping them, you'll either hear them sucking air, or fuel will leak out around the primer. Also check all the pipes for any chaffed sections, which could allow air in.

Reply to
M Cuthill

If it's the 1.5D I'll second valve clearances. Had this on a 96 Citroen AX

1.5D with this engine at only 40,000 miles. Valves clearances transformed cold starts.

Checking the glow plugs are actually drawing current is also a good idea. I remove the linking rail and connect a high current ammeter between the feed and each glow plug and ensure they all draw current.

Reply to
Doctor D