Help with BMW 525i (e39) valve cover gasket - poor fit

While replacing the valve cover gasket on my 2003 BMW 525i, I noticed the replacement gasket did not fit flush against the slot in the valve cover. Both the main gasket and spark plug gaskets stood up about 1/4 inch above the edge of the valve cover. In other words, the vertical gasket material is too high and prevents the horizontal portion of the gasket from sitting flush against the valve cover.

Is this expected? I verified Fel-pro VS50631R is the correct valve cover gasket for 2003 525i (e39_ manufactured in 3/2003. The gasket was in a sealed box. The gasket smashed down at the securing bolts but you can see a gap between the valve cover and gasket between the bolts.

BMW changed the valve cover gasket between 2002 and 2003 model years, Fel-pro VS50626R to VS50613R. Does anyone know what changed between

2003 and 2003? Is it possible I received the wrong gasket?

Thanks

Reply to
John Baker

Double check the valve cover itself to make sure it's not bent.

Felpro usually improves on the design so that is probably why it may look slightly different.

YOu can also go to their website and take a look at a pic of both part #'s.. Maybe you can see a difference.

Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a