Hi Bird

Well, we need hybrid automotive systems which only have the purpose of maki ng a lightweight four-wheel-drive.

The four-wheel-drive would operate when accelerating, when at high RPM, and when pulling away from a stop. And this assistance that it provides for pu lling away from a stop is where it adds efficiency to the car.

See, this hybrid car doesn't have an all-electric mode. It has small batter ies, small motors, and small generators such that it is only designed and i ntended to assist the internal combustion engine.

Well, I'll call it a Hi Bird system. Now since the system adds efficiency w hen pulling from a stop and since it adds four-wheel-drive in other situati ons then the internal combustion engine should actually be used to keep the batteries charged. Also, the system is small to be lightweight and needs c harging. So should the Hi Bird system have regenerative braking ? I don't k now but I'm tempted to say no so that the car has normal braking action and to reduce complexity and expense.

Should the Hi Bird system have overnight charging ? I'm tempted to say yes but since so many people live in apartments and condos then why bother ?

Now how does the internal combustion engine keep the small batteries charge d ? Well, the engine charges the batteries at highway speed and gives up ab out 1 MPG in highway driving to gain about 2 MPG in city driving but also t o gain that four-wheel-drive.

The BMW i8 ? No, the i8 has an all-electric mode and thus has very large an d expensive batteries. But the I8 does have layout such that the internal c ombustion engine is in the rear and drives the rear wheels while the electr ic motor is in the front and drives the front wheels. Then the batteries ar e front-mid-ship so that the car itself doesn't have a flywheel tendency wh en turning. In other words it is best to keep the mass of the car between t he front and rear axle lines .

Reply to
PolicySpy

This would be best done with an individual pancake motor per wheel. This allows dynamic traction control as well.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

And it has been done in prototype forms by many outfits. Only place I've seen it commercially is an outfit that makes units that offer "bolt on"

4X4 for golf carts and UTVs.
Reply to
Steve W.

The BMW i8 can charge the batteries of the hybrid system with the engine. T he generator for that system is combined with the starter motor.

The Porsche 918 has an electric motor for the rear axle in addition to the internal combustion engine. But that electric motor is also a generator for the hybrid system. Then as expected there is an electric motor for the fro nt axle and the car is four-wheel-drive.

e__6728

.

Reply to
PolicySpy

The generator for that system is combined with the starter motor.

e internal combustion engine. But that electric motor is also a generator f or the hybrid system. Then as expected there is an electric motor for the f ront axle and the car is four-wheel-drive.

But as I previously said, the BMW i8 could drop the all-electric mode and t hen have smaller and less expensive batteries. And even the Porsche 918 sup ercar has the all-electric mode .

Reply to
PolicySpy