High Oil Consumption

I recently bought a second hand Toyota Corolla 91 (80000 miles). I have noticed a high consumption of oil in the engine, around 2 liters in 2 months (around 1000 miles). I have checked for oil leaks but it doesn't have any. There is not any visible smoke coming out of the exhaust. Any clue about what is happing?

Reply to
4B

It could simply be burning a quart in 500 miles and there's no smoke because the converter is burning it up. That's not horrible oil consumption and it could run another 100K if you keep oil in it.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Is there ever any blue smoke upon a cold start? If there is, it's most likely valve stem seals. I had the same problem for a while, pulled my head for the heck of it (hey, I was bored) and decided figured I would replace the stem seals to see if it'd cure the problem and sure enough, it did!

-Tim

Reply to
Tim H.