HIgh Oil Pressure

I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick. I had the engine rebuilt. They put the timing gear off by aone tooth so it was pinging under power. I moved so I took it to a new mecanic to fix it. He fixed that, but ever since then the oil pressure stays between 90 and 100 psi. I put a new gauge in, same result. Before the timing gear repair the pressure was around

30 to 40 psi.

What is wrong?

Reply to
la.larson

Just by chance, did they put in a high-pressure pump, or rebuild the oil pump?

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Nobody without magic vision can tell you what IS wrong... that said probably a constriction somewhere. Like a bent/kinked oil line going to the engine head. Check for that. Also...there is supposed to be a check valve on some oil pumps that is spring-loaded. If the pressure gets too high, the check valve opens enough to lower it.

You could have a *spun bearing* You could have a constriction in the oil galleries you could have oil with too high a viscosity you could have a defective oil pressure sending unit you could have a clogged/blocked oil filter

Nobody knows what IS wrong, because we can't examine the engine.

If you can remove your rocker covers and look at the engine, they should be getting a good dose of oil. This is messy on a slant engine, but if everything is OK, your problem will be abrasive sand blasting as contaminants in the oil wear away engine parts under high pressure flow.

OTOH, at 3k rpm, 50 psi is OK. At idle, with hot oil, 15 psi is OK. You may have a spun bearing though, which is serious. But before you panic, look to see you have the correct viscosity oil, and no kinked or bent oil lines going to the engine head.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Now he has a better bearing fit and higher oil pressure. Probably not a problem at all. Normal for this vehicle is 47-61 @ 4000 RPM so it was a little low before.

They may have shimmed that spring. Not necessary but not really a problem.

Causes LOW oil pressure.

WAY too high to go from 30-40 up to 90-100!!

Yes

Would cause a LOW oil pressure reading. On every engine I have seen the oil pressure sender is AFTER the oil filter.

Huh?? Where does the sand come from?

There are no such oil lines on this engine. All passages are drilled in the head and block.

Don

Don

Right here ^

Lucky him.

So...you think 100 psi is OK for an oil pressure?

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

We have sometimes had race engines run that high. It doesn't serve any purpose however. I wouldn't worry about until I opened my Snap-On kit and checked it with a real gauge on it. Asian oil pressure gauges are typically accurate to +- 50%.

Don

Don