HOW DO I TELL IF A POWER STEERING PUMP IS VANE OR GEAR?

I am looking for a few, gear-type power steering pumps from pick-a-part yards.

How do I tell, without tearing them down, if they are gear pumps or vane-type?

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
justme

I'm not aware of any gear-type PS pumps. There probably are some out there, but they're a small, small minority of the ones on the road.

As far as I know, the only way to possibly tell externally would be to look at the shape of the pump body casting (not the reservoir that often fits around the casting, but the casting itself.) A round casting with the input shaft off-center would indicate a likely vane-type pump. A "figure 8" or "hourglass" shaped casting with the input shaft on one lobe of the hourglass would hint at a gear-type.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

Joe