WHAT HONDA PUMP IS THIS?

In looking for a power steering pump at a pick-a-part, I pulled what I thought was one. Now, I don't think it is. It was externally mounted on the engine.

It has appx. 5/8" rubber hose barbs on it and it says: "USE NO OIL". It will trip a l5 amp. circuit breaker when trying to pump oil with an elelctric motor?

Could this be a water pump?

Thank you.

Joe

Reply to
justme

A.I.R. ?

Reply to
WWS

if you're trying to rig an oil transfer pump, why not just modify an oil pump? surely a SBC oil pump shouldn't be too expensive at your FLAPS, I suspect $40 or less, just tap the inlet and outlet holes for the next larger NPT size and thread in some hose barbs.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate.

Not enough volume, I think.

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
justme

Reply to
justme

A.I.R.? What is that?

j/b

Reply to
justme

What exactly are you trying to do? what fluid/pressure/volume?

nate

justme wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Air injection (emissions)

nate

justme wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

ought to be able to accomplish that easily with an oil pump. you may have to defeat the bypass valve though, it might open at 60-70 PSI.

nate

justme wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

O.I.C.

What is the 'R' in A.I.R.

TNX

Reply to
justme

W.V.O. > 90 P.S.I., > 1 G.P.M.

Reply to
justme

What can it provide?

Reply to
justme

Air Injection Reactor. It puts fresh air into the exhaust manifold and/ or the middle of a two-stage cat in order to reduce unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. I think this has gotten rather passe as computerized engine controls, and cats, have become better.

The volume and pressure required is not much; thus the AIR pump is typically a pretty puny affair, an "it does what it does" sort of thing, which certainly wouldn't be my choice for repurposing as a fluid oil pump. Note also that one of their failure modes (when they fail at all) is seizing up, which might account for tripping your breaker.

There exist electric water pumps (as opposed to the usual belt driven kind) but they're mostly a tuner/rod-and-custom thing. (Isn't the Honda water pump typically buried in the timing belt area anyway?)

Cheers,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

depends on how fast you spin it. surprisingly enough, real flow numbers seem to be difficult to find, but I'd bet that if you, say, drove it with a 3600 RPM electric motor you'd find that it would flow rather rapidly. If you're just using it to transfer waste oil from one container to another, you won't be developing any pressure anyway (save for a little due to restriction in hoses.)

nate

justme wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote in news:1a37e627-0f8e- snipped-for-privacy@s1g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Often (always?), yes.

It is a bare-bones sort of thing with no hose stubs and most of its "housing" being part of the engine block. The pulley is cogged so as to mesh with the timing belt.

What the OP describes does not seem like any Honda water pump I've ever personally seen.

Reply to
Tegger

Virtually any GM small block style pump. Remove the bypass and use an external regulator. Keep in mind that those pumps take about 3-5 HP to run. Should give you 90 psi EASY depending on the oils viscosity. And well over 1 GPM. Consider that a typical oil pump can suck the oil pan dry in about 10 seconds. Thats 5-6 quarts of oil.

Reply to
Steve W.

A.I.R. was one of the big-3's trade names for its catalyst air injection system. It was "Air Injection Reactor" or "Air Injection Reaction," I forget which. But it was the same air-pump system that they all used.

justme wrote:

Reply to
Steve