How long do you run your Serpentine Belts

How long do you run your Serpentine Belts?

One of my cars is approaching 60K miles and at it's next oil change the maintenance schedule calls for new plugs and plug wires, which I will have done. While it's in there for that I'm wondering if I should have them also put a new serpentine belt on it.

How long are you folks running serpentine belts? I'm reluctant to let it go to 104K when the timing belt will be due. If I did the serp belt now I'd get it replaced again when I do the timing belt if I still have the car. 2009 PT crusier. It has a lifetime Powertrain warranty so I may have to keep it forever just to see how long the engine/transmission will last.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

I don't even know!

I acquired the car at 58000 miles and have driven it to nearly 190000. So...132k miles?

I have been catching up on a lot of maintenance lately and I thought about swapping the belt just on principle...but honestly, it looks like it's in great shape.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

Reply to
Jc Maxwell

">>>Ashton Crusher" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

when you look closely at the belt if it has any large cracks or lots of small ones on the drive surface, that is time to replace it. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

When it starts cracking or otherwise looks bad. That seems to start around 80k for my vehicles. Probably the Houston heat and summer ozone has a lot to do with that.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Just went out to look at it. I can only see about 3" of the top of it. I think I'd have to have the car on a lift to see any more of it from underneath. Looks like a nightmare if it ever broke on the highway.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

Sounds like it's really crammed in there. For the cost of the serp belt vs. peace of mind I'd probably replace it when the timing belt is done.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Well if you have an east-west engine, expect that sort of shit. In a RWD, it is a piece of piss to change drive belts.

Reply to
pedro1492