what belts are in honda? (apr)

i have a 1994 accord DX. I need to find information about what belts I need to replace and examine. The only belt I've had replaced was the timing belt, which was about 5 years ago. I've looked all over the web to find what belts are essential to the vehicle, but have come up short.

I'll start with what I know, and you fill in the rest please:

belts that need to be inspected and replaced for honda accord:

1) timing belt 2) alternator belt 3) serpentine belt 4) ??? belt 5) ??? belt
Reply to
kilroy bass

Any auto parts store can help you with this.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
Fred

kilroy bass wrote in rec.autos.tech

Open your hood, and take a look at the end of the engine on the drivers side. You will see all the belts except the timing belt. You have one belt for the alternator, and if you have AC you will have one for that. You do not have a serpentine belt on your car. A serpentine belt is very wide belt that drives the AC, Alternator, and anything else. It takes the place of several different belts. However, if it has been 5 years since the last belt was replaced, it is time to replace them all. And the timing belt is getting to the age it needs to be replaced, regardless of mileage.

Reply to
Dick C

It's due for replacement after 6 years or 90,000 miles whichever comes first.

If you're doing your own wrench bending, get yourself a shop manual for the car. It's the first thing I always buy.

You might also try

John Ings

thanks a lot for all your help. much appreciated.

Reply to
kilroy bass

John Ings wrote in rec.autos.tech

Even if you are not planning on doing the work yourself, it helps to have a manual. That way when you take your car in to have it worked on you can figure out what is involved, get an idea of how long the job will be, and if the mechanic is yanking your chain or not. For instance, someone who owns a Honda might be put off at the $500 cost of replacing a timing belt, but by looking at what it takes to replace one he may feel that it is a cheap price. On the the other hand if a a mechanic tells someone it will cost several hundred for a job and you can see that it is a simple and quick job, you will take the car somewhere else.

Reply to
Dick C

Check the service manual that came with the car. They detail what belts need to be inspected, and replaced if necessary.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Dick C wrote in news:Xns94D45F4BBA58Fdickcrcomcastnet@216.196.97.136:

Agreed 100%. I have the Haynes manual for 94/95 Accord. It's not as good as the Honda shop manual, but it's saved my bacon more than once. For example, I took it in to have the heater blower motor replaced. When I got the car back, the glove box fell out. They tried to tell me "the car was like that" but then I remembered from the manual that the standard procedure to get at the blower motor is through the glove box. They changed their tune after I mentioned that. It really helps to know what they need to do a job to avoid being scammed.

One more note. The original poster was looking for belts that typically are replaced at certain intervals. I wanted to add that some people replace the water pump at the same time as they replace the timing belt, since it's a lot of work to get that area open anyways. If the water pump is a decade old, and you're getting the timing chain done, you might want to get the pump done as well, or at least get it checked for wear / wobble.

My 95 Accord Wagon has about 190,000 km on it and I think it can do double that. For a while I had a 2002 BMW M3 and was thinking of selling the Honda. I ended up keeping the Honda and selling the M3. Hope the original poster has as good of luck with his.

Reply to
Mr. Grinch