How much should an engine roll? (Cavalier)

('04 Cavalier, Auto) When I shift between drive and reverse, the engine rolls a couple of inches. It looks like more than it should be. But, I (so far) don't see anything funny-looking about the mounts, and I read things like

" Important: Torque axis mounting systems allow more engine movement than other mounting systems. The engine movement is the design intent of the mounting system. Do not replace the torque axis mounts unless the mount or the rubber is damaged."

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

George

Reply to
George

A couple of inches in each direction is normal. Depending on vehicle, several inches in each direction could be normal. However, yours are almost 10 years old and have probably deteriorated or at least lost their firmness. Consider replacing them.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Great answer! LMAO

Reply to
the will

As I recall, my Cavalier had a big mount on the top. You could tell from the design that it was made to allow a lot of movement. My recommendation is that you replace it if the mounts or the rubber is damaged - otherwise, don't.

Reply to
dsi1

Oops. It turns out, the dogbone ('torque strut') was, um, ... kind of broken. The engine still rolls, but not so much. And, some disturbing noises seem gone. A good day.

George

Reply to
George

I guess if your axles are going bad they can probably get some play in them as well.

Reply to
m6onz5a