how to bend a tailpipe

Hi,

I found thatthe knocking sound on my ar is actually because my tailpipe is slightly bent, and it hits the lower rear fascia when going around curves. I need to straighten the tailpipe so it is centered in the cutout for it (I didnt relaize it was bent because it was like this since I got the car). However, the pipe is of course welded to the muffler, and I dont want to disturb any of that. Is there a way that I can straghten it? How hard is it to hand bend it back some? I was thinkng of trying to do thatm but didnt want to rip the whole muffler or tailpipe off... The tailpipe is either 2.25 or 2.5" I believe. WOuld it work to find a big pips of approximately that diameter, stick it in the hole and use it for leverage? Can muffler shops do this with it on the car? Or, am I stuck having to cut it off, striaghten it and then reweld? Thanks,

JMH

Reply to
JMH

Unless it was improperly installed in the first place, there is some other issue with the exhaust. You won't be able to bend it properly on the car. Start by looking for a lost hanger or rusted joint that has broken. something is a miss. Or it could be the wrong exhaust that was force-fit or something of that nature by the previous owner.

Reply to
Brent P

-fit or something of that nature by the previous owner.

Best guess is that the pipe/muffler is installed improperly. It needs to be rotated a few degrees to the optimum position where it will not rub. This is a common error and it can be fixed on the car. However, it may be hard to loosen and a torch might be needed to break the rust so a shop could do it easily compared to DIY.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Approximately 10/9/03 20:31, JMH uttered for posterity:

If there is a pipe hanger near that area, see if the rubber in it is old, allowing the pipe to hit when it shouldn't. May be a cheap fix.

If that don't do it, try a local independent [not chain] muffler exhaust shop and see if they can adjust it for you without replacment.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I wouldnt doubt the rubber is a bit old, but the exhaust is OEM, and there is a diagonal so the top sticks out further than the bottom. However, the tailgate has a curve and a scrape mark, as if it hit something and curved it. I will replace the hangers and check everything else. Thanks,

JMH

Reply to
JMH