how to defeat chevy anti-theft feature

My 99 suburban has an anti-theft feature that is somehow related to battery removal. It seems that if you remove or replace the battery it goes into a mode where it will start but will not run. After scouring the service manual for an hour I found a way to reset it. It involves cycling from off to run over the course of 30 minutes.

For some reason now when I go down to the gulf coast the salt air or something down there causes this lockout feature to happen fairly often.

Is there a way to defeat this feature altogether? I do have an OBDII scanner but it shows nothing related to this.

Obviously, when I'm launching the boat down there I NEVER turn the engine off if I'm anywhere close to the boat ramp. :-(

Don

Reply to
nospam.don

Shep

VAT must mean the original chevy oem key that has some kind of encoding in it. I can only say I think so. I bought this truck used. I think this key is pre-expensive keys. I have tried other keys with no change. Besides that why would it only fail down at the coast?

It has failed this way not at the coast but only if I somehow run the battery down. but...that is not consistent. Its run down before and the anti-theft key reset did not kick in.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com really is my id so can reply directly if interested.

tks Don

Reply to
nospam.don