99 Ranger: ANTI-THEFT module killing ignition?

-->1999 Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab 3.0L "v"VIN (Flex-Fuel) 5-speed manual

Gang, yes, I've got a related thread going "Engine cuts out randomly, NO codes, NO MIL", but I'VE GOT A NEW CLUE--> anti-theft indicator light behavior!

... and the usenet kommissars always go berserk when I change the subject line in the middle of a thread so I've "forked" this one... I'll report back to the original thread too.

Anyway, El Ranger-o had another fainting spell, at steady speed, 45mph, 4th gear... same thing, TACH DROPS TO ZERO... I coast to a left-turn cut-out, immediate re-start fails... sit for 3 minutes, starts up just fine, but... THE "THEFT" LIGHT IS ON SOLID. (Never saw/noticed that in previous episodes.) I'm back in traffic, driving along, "THEFT" stays on solid for about a minute, then BLINKS for approx. 1-2 minutes before going out. All the while engine is purring along like nothing happened. I gotta keep my eyes on the road so I don't know if it was blinking out a code sequence... DOES IT DO THAT?

Does anyone know the skinny on the anti-theft system? (Seems like once it lets you start the engine it should GTF outta the way, eh?) OBD-II scanner was hooked up at the time, NO CODES, same-o.

Just dropped $26 for the Chilton's on CD, and Duh Dang thang doesn't even MENTION the anti-theft system! Neither does Haynes. Bloody hell, does the Helm manual? Anyone know where to get one?

Thanks in advance, The game is rigged, the Fix izz in... FoMoCo are mofos.

Reply to
fixizin

Not sure if you have seen the PATS information in this PDF file. It doesn't mention activation while driving but, some of your other symptoms may be here.

I. Care

I hope this is applicable. Some years back(about 1991), one of my work crew had the same problem with his Ranger. It was about two years old at the time. The anti-theft device had a removable part (looked like a hair pick/remember the "afros"), when removed from its socket it disabled the ignition. It had many edge connectors on it and over time the whole set up had loosened enough to allow it to disconnect randomly. Drove us crazy for about two weeks. The system was dealer installed and not provided by Ford. There was nothing in any manual about it either, obviously. This might be a part of your problem.... Hope this helps and good luck.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

fixizin wrote in news:Xns9A7217353EF65fixizinyahoocom@216.77.188.18:

Yep, the DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR) sensor was the culprit! It's up-top and easy to replace. (Turns out it WAS related to the P0401 code, as the DPFE is the main determinant of how far to open the EGR.)

Still doesn't explain the behavior of the "THEFT" light, but hey, it's running reliably now (and SMOOTHLY, no longer too LEAN), so the anti-theft anomaly will have to be filed under "FoMoCo Mysteries"... lol.

Thanks for all the feedback, Fixizin

Reply to
fixizin