I've replaced the starter, but...

I've replaced the starter, but when I try to start my 2002 Taurus, it just goes CLICK, CLICK, CLICK...

... and when I disconnected the lead to the "S" terminal and tried jumping it to the positive battery terminal, it just goes CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jimmy Roberts

jkr1963 at verizon dot net

Reply to
Jimmy Roberts

Firewall or fender mounted soleniod? I know Ford was still using these in the 90's.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Test the battery. Check the cables, especially the ground.

Reply to
E. Meyer

What's the battery voltage?

If you clamp a jumper cable from the battery negative pin to the starter body, does that help?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Weak voltage.

Reply to
twisted

It was a dead battery...

Reply to
Jimmy Roberts

_Next_ time make sure the cable connections are as clean as can be -- that's always what trips be up on those "click click click" adventures.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Was your new battery defective, or undercharged, or had some circuit in the car drained it?

Reply to
hls

Not surprising. When folks have a bad starter and keep cranking and cranking, they run down the battery pretty fast. The voltmeter is your friend.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey