in-out box

Where can I find information/sales on in-out boxes used to direct connect engines to differentials? Thanks

Reply to
amorrisonca1

Anywhere they race sprint or midget cars.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

You need to get a magazine on oval racing, especially one dedicated to sprint cars and midgets, and contact advertizers.

I don't think Speedway motors carries these, but they may well know who does, so google Speedway Motors in Lincoln, Nebraska. Speedway DOES carry the racing rear ends.

BTW, these cars do NOT use a differential- the rear ends are locked, either by using a racing rear end center section, or by buying a spool to go inside the Ford truck rear end used on stock cars. This spool replaces the differential gear set inside the rear end.

Most stock cars, however, use clutches and gearbox- it is only sprints, midgets, and supermodifieds that use the in-out box.

If the plain old in-out box is used, the rear end is a quick change unit so you can select gears appropriate to the track. There are combination in-out and quick change boxes- I have one on my TQ, as do a number of vintage midgets in this area.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

As a historical note, one of the heroic yet dubious achievements of racing history was Rodger Ward's running a "stock" circle track midget in the United States Grand Prix in the late 1950s. A theoretically impossible feat.

Also, there were midgets and sprints that did use clutches or torque converters and starters at various times. This did cause a weight penalty but meant they could get underway without the customary push truck.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Several sprint organizations have tried starter/clutch rules, but the owners and drivers have always objected too much. A starter would speed up show, as having to push off each car in the event takes time.

I heard a rumor that WoO is going to try again.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

What's really fun (to me) are the guys that have converted old sprints and modifieds into street-legal hobby cars. You'd think you would see more of these in autocrossing and drifting...

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

They are a handful at low speeds. One of the Lotus Seven knockoffs or their ilk are handier. One reason for so few sprint car conversions- still a demand for the older ones in vintage oval racing :-)

I did drive one a friend has. He added power steering, and automatic transmission. Fully street legal, he brings it to our vintage meets and sometimes acts as pace car.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Since most oval track cars are "bitsas" by nature, I would think there would be availability of all the parts so you could build what you wanted.

The sprints' wheelbase is so short there isn't much room there. I would actually prefer a dirt Champ car. Using an engine-speed driveshaft and a transaxle like a Porsche 944 or 928 might be a better way to go, and cheaper too.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig