Is there an on demand 4 wheel drive car (not truck or suv)?

Even if you switch off the AWD circuit you are still carrying around all the hardware and spinning two differentials. Not much savings there.

Reply to
John S.

Nope. Coasting, coasting and holding in the clutch. Stopping. Stopping and starting. Nothing worked, except getting off dry pavement and onto something wet, slippery or loose (like dirt). If you didn't the thing was harder than hell to disengage!

Amen!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I understand that AWD always comes at a price.

That said, I also have a liking for the new Fusions. If they made an AWD Fusion Wagon in that 'cool white' color, I might actually consider one.

IIRC, Subaru says "no more Legacy wagons in North America".

-J

Reply to
phaeton

Hmm. Differently worn tires can cause the transfer case to bind up as well. Keep them properly inflated and rotated.

Oddly enough, there have been a few instances of 4x4 vehicles equipped (probably mistakenly) with differing front and rear axle ratios. Some (as claimed by their owners) directly from the factory that way. That's also asking for trouble.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.