Japanese,Koreans give three cheers for 'cash for clunkers'

The biggest mistake, possibly, is sitting on our asses and letting that little country best us in technology and manufacturing strength.

It isnt enough to keep bragging how good we are. We have to BE good.

Reply to
hls

I am sure those Asians are worried.

Reply to
hls

Right. One of the best cars we ever owned was a 1964 Chevy II Nova, 6 cylinder. Buiilt like a tank. Lost track of it at about 225,000 miles, when it moved to Seattle, 3,000 miles away. I saw it again about two years later for a few months, and then it disappeared again. It still looked good the last time I saw it.

We got it from the electric co. with about 150,000 miles on it, and it was one of the most excellent cars I ever saw.

Now, about the 1973 Caprice-of-shit...that's the car that got my whole family buying Toyotas. That and the 1980 Merc Zephyr that needed 2 transmissions before 50,000 miles and started stalling at 52,000.

The 1986 Camry that replaced it is still sitting in the garage looking and running as good as they day they bought it.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A buddy of mine owned a new 1964 Chevy II.It was a good car.

When I was in the Army, we had an eight hour layover in Tokyo.I remember seeing a little bitty car on display in a store window in Tokyo, the car looked like an egg.The pickup trucks over there were three wheelers. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I almost joined the Navy (I'm not a "Yes,SIR!" kind of guy...would have been in the brig for 4 years...) but I wanted my first tour in Japa n.

I bet what you saw was one of these:

Subaru 360. I have only seen 2 in the US myself.

Had a truck, too

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

First week of 1964, when I was in Tokyo, on my way to Vietnam.They were three wheel pickup trucks in Tokyo, a lot of them were.One wheel up front, two wheels in the back.I think they are still being manufactured, in India. I know where there is an old model Suzuki car not far from me, if it is still sitting there. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

kirjoitti viestissä news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net...

You mean like these?:

(click 'Apecar', then 'Allgemein') Those things might well be manufactured in India, but after that they get shipped to Europe :)

Here they carry license plates of a moped, and are typically driven by teens who aren't old enough to get driver license sufficient for real cars, or by old people whose driver license classification has been lowered because of low vision or something. Occasionally they're also used for their designed purpose, in-town deliveries by companies.

P.V.

Reply to
P.V.

A lot of Japanese manufacturers made these, and they are all over Asia. Very few made it to the US.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I want one of these!

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A few years ago, I saw a website about somebody who imports older model smallish Asian vehicles to America.I am pretty sure I emailed that website to myself.I will see can I find it.There is at least one local guy in this area who owns a Suzuki pickup truck, I have seen him driving it around a few times before. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Importers of older Japanese vehicles to America

Suzuki mini trucks and Daihatsus and a whole slew of other vehicles. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

They're sold in the US as Cushmans, but they aren't street legal. They usually get used on college campuses...

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I have owned two Cushman motor scooters before.They are built like a Tank. A buddy owned a Sears Allstate motor scooter, built by Cushman.I still have a few old Cushman motor scooter parts.A clutch, a front fork and front wheel and a gas tank.In 1949 my dad bought a second hand Doodle Bug motor scooter for me.I still have one of the sheet metal side panels that says, Doodle Bug on it.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

There were three wheeler pickup trucks in Europe too.Some of them had the engine mounted on the single front wheel steering fork, sort of like a Solex Moped.

I have never been to Europe before.I would like to see Ireland and Scotland before I croak. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin