knocking noise when engine warm and at idle

Hey folks,

Maybe you guys can give me your thoughts on the following: my 99 intrepid is making a weired knocking or tapping sound when the engine is warm and the car is in idle. The noise can also be heard for 1 or 2 more seconds after the ignition is turned off. It is easier to hear the noise when sitting in the car but once the engine is very warm it can also be heard from the outside.

When standing in front of the car the sound appears to be more prominent on the right hand side of the engine compartment. When the car reaches around 1700 rpm the noise can no longer be heard (btw, the speed of the noise increases once I put my foot on the accelerator).

Also, when I put the car from drive into neutral, the sound is not as loud as when the car is in drive. Car is driving well and except for the noise there appear to be no problems.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

J.

Reply to
John

If you want to try to isloate the noise you can hold something to you rear and the other end to different parts on the engine. Some people use a big screwdriver or a stick of hard wood. I use a piece of plastic hose. More sophisticated people use a stethescope like medical doctors use. My car has slightly noisy exhaust valve in the #3 cylinder but it's not enough of a problem to bother about.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Damn, just beered my keyboard.....

I find I have better luck holding the hose to my 'ear'. ;-)

I would start at the exhaust manifold expecting to find a crack.

Mike

"William R. Watt" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, if you want to find a crack, holding it to your rear would be a sure way to do it :>)

Reply to
<HLS

OK, Mike, you said it first. Do you think you might need another size? (I'll let you decide if you need a smaller or larger one!) Continue having a good day--this post has already made mine! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

I had an odd rattle on an 89 Cressida that seemed to come and go sort of like this. Turned out it was a slightly loose bolt on the main pulley/harmonic balancer.

Reply to
Doc