Leaking headlight assembly

I have a 2009 Mazda CX-7.

One headlight assembly has a leak resulting in moisture accumulation in the lens.

If I can dry out the lens, I can use silicon caulk to seal the top part of the lens where I feel the water is coming in from.

Cost of a new assembly is way too high at $220+.

I thought of blowing hot air thru the hole for the high beam lamp.

Hole is only about 1/4 inch which is too small for using a blow dryer or silica gel to dry the lens.

Any one have any other ideas ??

Shame on auto manufacturers for making things pert near impossible for customers to fix.

They should have never gone from glass to plastic, but we know why the greedy &*#! did so.

Have a good evening.

Reply to
Andy K

I appreciate all the responses.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Find a tin can a little bigger than the blow dryer nozzle. Seal them together with aluminum tape or whatever seems reasonable.

Punch a hole in the can the size of a hunk of metal tubing the OD of the hole in the lens and seal it up some way.

Or maybe a funnel or series of funnels.

Or fashion something out of aluminum foil.

Or seal a vacuum cleaner hose over the 1/4" hole with modeling clay (leave an opening -- you only need a LITTLE suction) and suck out the moisture.

Or stick in a straw and suck with your mouth.

Note: I have VERY little confidence that any of the above will work, but there's not much expense involved.

I haven't decided whether it's the cheapest way to put something together or if it's a sop to the dealers' repair departments.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I got the headlight assembly dried out. :-)

First I drilled a 1/4 hole in the back.

Left car in sun for 2 days.

Moisture evaporated.

Sealed up hole with tape.

Reply to
Andy K

Your problem is that you haven't fixed the leak in the housing. My guess is that there's a separation between the clear lens and the housing. To fix it right, you have to take out the housing and check for where it's leaking,

Reply to
dsi1

I forgot to add that I caulked it.

Reply to