Headlight condensation

i have a 2003 tl last year it started getting condensation inside. anyone have this problem? is there a seal that could be leaking? Any help ? how did you fix the problem?

Reply to
apdicenzo

Did you have it inspected by a dealer when the problem started?

Reply to
Ghislain

Reply to
apdicenzo

If I had that issue, I would definitely go to the dealer to see what Honda could do about it. It might also be a simple fix that would be free of charge.

Reply to
Ghislain

"apdicenzo" wrote in news:K1r9k.6618$Fj5.4522 @newsfe23.lga:

Had you replaced the headlight bulb at any point?

Reply to
Tegger

Reply to
apdicenzo

"apdicenzo" wrote in news:QOK9k.8788$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.lga:

They won't pay for this.

And headamps these days all have separate bulbs, removable (often with difficulty) from the rear of the assembly.

If the moisture's not getting in through a badly-sealed bulb O-ring, then it's due to a failed seal between lens and reflector. To fix this you need to remove the entire headlamp from the car, which is a highly non-trivial operation involving removal of the entire front bumper.

Some people report success applying silicone caulk all around the lens/reflector join. I prefer to drill a series of 1/16" or 3/32" holes in the bottom of the plastic reflector, immediately behind the lens. These holes allow better air flow than just the OEM drain/vent tube that's mounted part-way up the reflector.

Reply to
Tegger

Agreed I don't think the dealer will pay for the cost of this. I know that the 04 TSXs had this problem but Acura paid for the replacement as there was a high number of people who were getting this problem. Seals go bad and unfortunately the only true way to repair this is by replacing the headlamp assembly. Make sure that you don't let a puddle of water form on the inside of the lens or you can kiss you headlights goodbye, and those Xeon bulbs are expensive to replace.

And as tegger says, it requires the removal of the front bumper so you need to be mechanically inclined to do this. It isn't an impossible job to do but you need to know what you are doing.

Reply to
nick

Is bumper removal pretty much standard with Hondas today given the design of the front ends.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:EOUak.11986$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.lga:

Yes.

In fact, it's even harder than it used to be. At one time it took just four bolts accessed through the signal light apertures and the bumper was off. Now it takes about a dozen other fasteners that hold the skin to the rebar, then the fasteners that hold the rebar to the body.

My dad's '70 Ford was so much simpler...

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9ACFCFC167571tegger@208.90.168.18:

you just need to remove the bumper COVER to get to the headlghts,I believe.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9AD0590677272jyanikkuanet@64.209.0.85:

The OP will need a genuine Honda shop manual to be sure, eh?

Tegger

The 1965 Sunbeam Tiger I had some 40 + years ago came with a small monkey. All kidding aside, it was a heck of lot easier to work on.

Reply to
tww1491

I've had this problem before and I found a quick, if only temporary fix.

Undo (or not) the clip holding the wiring on to the rear of the bulb connector. Then take the bulb out from the rear of the assembly which requires a half turn to get it out and set it aside being careful not to touch it or let it touch anything. ( I rest it on a clean, lint free microfiber cloth)

Then take a hair dryer and blow warm air into the opening which clears the condensation after a short while.

Obviously this is only a quick/temporary fix but it works well on my 8 yr. old TL and I have only had to do it twice since I bought it new.

Ron Marraccini

Reply to
Ron Marraccini