Lubricate parking brake cables, yes or no?

Hi;

I'm installing new front and rear parking brake cables on my '78 Trans Am. Front and one of the rear are OEM with stainless steel cable, while the other rear cable is aftermarket with a black, nylon-like coating.

I have looked through my Pontiac service manual a few times, but have never found any reference to lubricating parking brake cables. (Neither have I found any reference that says *don't* lube the cables!)

I know from bitter experience that, once a cable starts to seize up, lubrication may free it for a short time but is not any kind of permanent fix. Also, the back cables on this car are at least fourteen years old (which is how long I've had the car), and this is the first I've had to deal with them. (One snapped in January, and it looks like the other is at least semi-seized.) So the cables may work better unlubricated (less gunk attracted to the lube to get sucked into the cable housing), and last just as long as lubricated ones?

Trying a quick google does not give any really authoritative results. I wonder if some of the experienced mechanics in this group have any advice?

Thanks!

Reply to
Ed.Toronto

There are no front parking brake cables. Parking brake is attached to the rear only. No need to lubricate those cables. You should be fine for another 30 years with a new set.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

How long has this been true? I remember in the 1980s a parking brake cable jamming for (I was told) lack of lubrication.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Depending on where you live, it may never have been true. If you live somewhere that uses lots of road salt, I'd lube the e-brake cables every couple of years.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Forever in my part of the world... As Nate said it may be different in areas with lots of road salt though it seems to my salt free mind that the grease would just trap the salt making the problem worse.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I usually lube them with a good dose of dry lubricant. Solvent carried graphite seems to work real well. I also like to install rubber boots on the ends of any open style cables. I get the boots from a local boat shop. They are used on rudder cables and such to keep water out of the cable.

In NY at least the salt and crappy winter eat cables for lunch. It is almost the top cause for failures during inspection.

Reply to
Steve W.

Funny how you can read something and completely miss the point. I've never heard it referred to as a front brake cable before but now that you explain it makes perfect sense... Can't say I've ever had the need to replace one either so never really thought about what you would call it.. Guess that was my short bus moment for the week.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

More of a problem than salt corrosion in areas with bad winters is that the slush builds up around cables and bellcranks and freezes. Many of us in these northern climes were taught to use emergency/ parking brake strictly as an emergency brake, never for parking, unless you are willing to get under car with pliers or wrench and return brakes to off condition.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Watch out for lube running through the cable into the brake drum.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Your idea to use a marine cable boot is the best I've seen in a while! Thanks for sharing it.

In the past, I've used a motorcycle cable oiling kit with excellent results. A thin base solvent carried a teflon added grease the length of the cable, giving it thorough lubrication and water resistance. Adding the rubber boot as you describe would make it the best job ever.

Reply to
doug